Ac­cused faces two sep­a­rate cases

Weekend Argus (Saturday Edition) - - NEWS - FA­TIMA SCHROEDER

ONE DECADE, one court, three sep­a­rate cases, and a string of vi­o­lent crimes.

That’s the synop­sis of the ex­pe­ri­ence of one man, cur­rently be­hind bars at Good­wood Prison, in the Western Cape High Court since 2004.

The man, Siyab­ulela Sand­lana, ap­peared in court on Thurs­day for a pre-trial con­fer­ence in con­nec­tion with one of the three cases – a mur­der al­legedly com­mit­ted in Khayelit­sha in Oc­to­ber last year.

That case was post­poned to June 2 for trial.

In April 2004, Sand­lana es­caped a 35-year sen­tence for two 1998 Gugulethu mur­ders af­ter the high court over­turned his con­vic­tions.

In April next year he is to be tried in the same court in con­nec­tion with 17 charges, in­clud­ing mur­der, rape, at­tempted mur­der and rob­bery, that stem from an al­leged 15-year reign of ter­ror across the city, from Ta­ble View and Bothasig to Gugulethu, and as far as Som­er­set West.

The of­fences he is ac­cused of date back to 1998, the most se­ri­ous of which took place in 2007, 2008 and last year. They in­clude:

● The rape of a woman at gun­point in Khayelit­sha in June 2007.

● The rape of a woman in Protea Heights, Bel­lville, in July 2008.

● The mur­der of 19-year-old Pa­trick Ndayi, who was shot in the head in Gugulethu on Au­gust 26 last year af­ter a quar­rel.

Other of­fences in­clude rob­bery and the pos­ses­sion of firearms and am­mu­ni­tion, in­clud­ing semi-au­to­matic weapons.

Then, in June next year, Sand­lana is to be tried along­side co-ac­cused Vukile Si­makuhle in con­nec­tion with the Khayelit­sha mur­der.

In that case, he is ac­cused of mur­der­ing 21-year-old Siph­elo Gcwadi in Lin­gelethu West, Khayelit­sha, on Oc­to­ber 2 last year. Ac­cord­ing to the State’s sum­mary of facts, Sand­lana and Si­makuhle al­legedly fol­lowed Gcwadi into his house.

Sand­lana al­legedly shot Gcwadi in the chest.

In ad­di­tion to mur­der, Sand­lana and Si­makuhle have also been charged with the un­law­ful pos­ses­sion of a 9mm pis­tol and am­mu­ni­tion. THE HUS­BAND of slain Pre­to­ria mother Chanelle Hen­ning ap­peared in the Pre­to­ria Re­gional Court yes­ter­day on a charge of mur­der.

The case against Nico Hen­ning was post­poned to Tues­day for a bail ap­pli­ca­tion.

Af­ter two years of spec­u­la­tion that Hen­ning or­dered the hit- style killing on his es­tranged wife, con­fir­ma­tion came last Wed­nes­day via a con­fes­sion by one of the men found guilty of her mur­der.

Hen­ning or­dered the killing and promised him R1 mil­lion, he said.

Ear­lier yes­ter­day, a hag­gard look­ing Hen­ning en­tered the Vil­le­ria po­lice sta­tion just be­fore 7am, and handed him­self over to po­lice.

Wear­ing a dark suit and grey tie, he was met by his lawyer Werner Bruynes. The sus­pect ap­peared thin­ner than when last seen at the fu­neral of his wife where, tear­fully, he car­ried the cou­ple’s young son.

Yes­ter­day, af­ter an hour be­hind closed doors with in­ves­ti­gat­ing of­fi­cers, he made a quick dash into a ve­hi­cle and, ac­com­pa­nied by po­lice, made his way to the Pre­to­ria Mag­is­trate’s Court.

Sit­ting in the pub­lic gallery were Chanelle’s par­ents Sharon and Ivan Sain­cic. The cou­ple did not at­tend court pro­ceed­ings on Wed­nes­day where An­dre Gouws tes­ti­fied dur­ing mit­i­ga­tion of his and coac­cused Am­brose Monye’s sen­tenc­ing in the Pre­to­ria High Court, as they were ap­par­ently in pro­tec­tive cus­tody.

Yes­ter­day Hen­ning ap­peared emo­tion­less as mag­is­trate Des­mond Nair read out the charges against him.

He is fac­ing charges of mur­der and con­spir­acy to mur­der.

His lawyers re­quested that the mat­ter be post­poned to next week for a for­mal bail ap­pli­ca­tion.

“We have not had enough time to ad­e­quately pre­pare for the bail ap­pli­ca­tion, and would like to do so over the weekend and consult with our client.”

The Sain­cics said they were relieved that Hen­ning was be­fore court for their daugh­ter’s mur­der.

Chanelle was shot by two hit­men on a mo­tor­cy­cle in Novem­ber, 2011, mo­ments af­ter drop­ping off her son at school.

Yes­ter­day, Gouws told the court that Hen­ning in­structed him to kill Chanelle so that he could get full cus­tody of their son.

The young mother’s death came at a R1m pay­ment, which Hen­ning al­legedly of­fered, but Gouws never re­ceived. “Nico wanted me to kill her but I could not do it my­self, so I in­structed Monye to get peo­ple to get the job done,” Gouws said.

Dis­graced for­mer cop Ger­hardus du Plessis and Wil­liem Pi­eterse shot and killed Chanelle. The pair were sen­tenced to 18 years in prison af­ter con­fess­ing in 2011.

PIC­TURE: ETI­ENNE CREUX

AC­CUSED: Nico Hen­ning, the hus­band of mur­dered Chanelle Hen­ning, in the Pre­to­ria Mag­is­trates Court yes­ter­day.

SHOT: Chanelle Hen­ning was killed out­side son’s school.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from South Africa

© PressReader. All rights reserved.