Hockey stick killer back in court

Weekend Argus (Saturday Edition) - - NEWS - KOWTHAR SOLOMONS

GRAEME Eadie, con­victed of beat­ing a man to death with a hockey stick dur­ing a fit of road rage in 1999, was back in court yes­ter­day fac­ing new charges of as­sault and ma­li­cious dam­age to prop­erty af­ter he al­legedly attacked a 67-yearold man.

Eadie ap­peared briefly in the Wyn­berg Mag­is­trate’s Court yes­ter­day, where the mat­ter was post­poned af­ter the prose­cu­tion said it needed more time to “pe­ruse” the case docket. This, they in­di­cated, was af­ter re­ports of his pre­vi­ous mur­der con­vic­tion sur­faced in the me­dia.

Prose­cu­tor Kep­pler Uys said the Di­rec­tor of Pub­lic Prose­cu­tions wanted more time to re­view the case, and de­cide its next course of ac­tion.

Mag­is­trate Sylvia Mandla agreed to a post­pone­ment to Jan­uary 16.

Eadie al­legedly as­saulted the 67-year-old man in Plum­stead dur­ing a “heated ar­gu­ment” on Novem­ber 22. He al­legedly punched the man and dam­aged his cam­era.

Eadie was con­victed of mur­der af­ter he blud­geoned 54year-old Kevin Dun­can to death with a hockey stick dur­ing a fit of road rage in Fish Hoek in 1999.

Eadie, who had been drink­ing on the night of the mur­der, had been on his way home from Wood­stock with his wife Wendy and their two sleep­ing chil­dren when they en­coun­tered Dun­can on Ou Kaapseweg.

Dur­ing his 2000 trial, Eadie said he had be­come an­gry when Dun­can drove up be­hind his car, tail­gated him, flashed his lights, over­took on a solid white line and then cut in front of him.

He was also charged with de­feat­ing the ends of jus­tice af­ter he left the scene, changed his bloody clothes, only to re­turn to the scene and pre­tend to be an on­looker.

He was sen­tenced to seven months in prison for this, which ran con­cur­rently with his mur­der sen­tence.

Eadie also had pre­vi­ous con­vic­tions of drunk driv­ing, neg­li­gent driv­ing and es­cap­ing law­ful cus­tody. His de­fence – that he suf­fered tem­po­rary non-patho­log­i­cal crim­i­nal in­ca­pac­ity be­cause of fi­nan­cial, mar­i­tal and work stress – was re­jected by Judge Ben­nie Griesel. He was sen­tenced to 15 years in jail in 2000, five of which were con­di­tion­ally sus­pended. He was re­leased on pa­role in Septem­ber 2006.


BACK: Graeme Eadie out­side the Wyn­berg Re­gional Court this week.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from South Africa

© PressReader. All rights reserved.