No easy way to ban sale of fire­works

Anti-cracker pe­ti­tion launched

Weekend Argus (Saturday Edition) - - NEWS -

for Po­lice Min­is­ter Nathi Nh­leko, said he un­der­stood this was an op­er­a­tional mat­ter.

Act­ing pro­vin­cial po­lice com­mis­sioner Them­be­sile Patek­ile’s of­fice said res­i­dents with com­plaints about fire­works should get in touch with the City of Cape Town.

Yes­ter­day Ta­ble View resi- dents Pat Smith and Sheree Ray­field said they were start­ing a pe­ti­tion to try to ban fire­works.

They spoke as they walked along­side charred veg­e­ta­tion in the Ri­etvlei sec­tion of the Ta­ble Bay Na­ture Re­serve, look­ing for in­jured an­i­mals af­ter the night fire that broke out late on Thurs­day and spread rapidly.

Fire­fight­ers worked through­out the night to pre­vent the flames reach­ing build­ings and the South African Foundation for the Con­ser­va­tion of Coastal Birds (Sanc­cob) cen­tre.

The fire came close to the cen­tre and dozens of birds had to be evac­u­ated.

Ini­tial sug­ges­tions were that a Chi­nese lantern from a fire­works dis­play had sparked the blaze. But the wind had been blow­ing sea­wards, away from the na­ture re­serve.

The cause of the fire was be­ing in­ves­ti­gated, ac­cord­ing to author­i­ties.

On Thurs­day, hours be­fore the Ta­ble View fire broke out, an­other blaze started near Lake Michelle in No­ord­hoek and also burned into the evening.

Fire­fight­ers were sta­tioned in the area overnight, and re­mained there yes­ter­day in case of flare-ups.

Some fire­fight­ers who bat­tled the No­ord­hoek blaze were sent on to Ta­ble View.

City of Cape Town Fire and Res­cue Ser­vices spokes­woman Liesl Moodie said by yes­ter­day af­ter­noon the No­ord­hoek fire had been ex­tin­guished.

She said an ex­ten­sive sec­tion of veg­e­ta­tion had burnt in Ta­ble View.

Fire­fight­ing he­li­copters, from Work­ing on Fire and Ta­ble Moun­tain Na­tional Park, had been un­avail­able as th­ese were be­ing pre­pared and ser­viced for the fire sea­son.

“All aerial sup­port will be op­er­a­tional from De­cem­ber 1,” she said.

PIC­TURE: IAN LANDSBERG

BIG BANGS: Thou­sands flocked to the Ta­ble View beach­front , one of the des­ig­nated ar­eas where fire­works could be dis­charged on Guy Fawlkes night. But some have launched a pe­ti­tion to have fire­works banned in Cape Town.

PIC­TURE: JEF­FREY ABRA­HAMS

SPARKLES: Peo­ple had fun at Strand­fontein Pav­il­ion, one of the des­ig­nated ar­eas where fire­works could be dis­charged on Guy Fawkes night.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from South Africa

© PressReader. All rights reserved.