YouTube puts ads from video star Paul on ice

Weekend Argus (Sunday Edition) - - PEOPLE -

YOUTUBE has tem­po­rar­ily sus­pended all ads from video star Lo­gan Paul’s chan­nels af­ter what it calls a pat­tern of be­hav­iour un­suit­able for ad­ver­tis­ers.

YouTube said the videos on Paul’s chan­nels were also “broadly dam­ag­ing to the broader cre­ator com­mu­nity”.

On Fri­day, YouTube up­dated poli­cies out­lin­ing new steps it could take against video cre­ators who vi­o­lated its guide­lines. Those in­clude shut­ting off ad sup­port, delet­ing videos by the cre­ator and bar­ring chan­nels from be­ing able to be rec­om­mended or put on its home page.

“When one cre­ator does some­thing par­tic­u­larly bla­tant – like con­ducts a heinous prank where peo­ple are trau­ma­tised, pro­motes vi­o­lence or hate to­ward a group, demon­strates cru­elty or sen­sa­tion­alises the pain of oth­ers in an at­tempt to gain views or sub­scribers – it can cause last­ing dam­age to the com­mu­nity, in­clud­ing view­ers, cre­ators and the out­side world,” said vice-pres­i­dent Ariel Bardin.

Last month, Paul posted a video of him­self near what ap­peared to be a body hang­ing from a tree. YouTube sus­pended him at the time for vi­o­lat­ing its poli­cies. But Paul has since posted a video of him­self us­ing a Taser on dead rats. That video is still up, with an age re­stric­tion. – AP

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from South Africa

© PressReader. All rights reserved.