De Lille of­fered new deal

Port­fo­lio com­mit­tee post is avail­able Race row ends in gun killing

Weekend Argus (Sunday Edition) - - FRONT PAGE - BULELWA PAYI MIKE BEHR

MAYOR Pa­tri­cia de Lille has been made an of­fer to move to the Western Cape provin­cial leg­is­la­ture to take up a va­cant po­si­tion cre­ated after the exit of Len­nit Max.

She could pos­si­bly head one of the port­fo­lio com­mit­tees.

The Week­end Ar­gus has learnt from highly placed sources that the of­fer was made to De Lille as part of the agree­ment reached this week which led to the with­drawal of the mo­tion of no con­fi­dence against her by the DA cau­cus in the City of Cape Town.

Ac­cord­ing to the sources, De Lille has been given un­til the end of next month to con­sider the of­fer.

How­ever, the dis­ci­plinary pro­cesses against her would still con­tinue, as per the new agree­ment, and these are sched­uled to take place over three days next month.

The dates have yet to be an­nounced.

The agree­ment bro­kered with De Lille ap­par­ently in­volved DA leader Mmusi Maimane, deputy chair of the fed­eral coun­cil Thomas Wal­ters and mem­ber of Par­lia­ment and former In­de­pen­dent Democrats sec­re­tary-gen­eral Han­iff Hoosen.

De Lille con­firmed the in­volve­ment of Maimane and “other man­age­ment com­mit­tee mem­bers”.

DA na­tional spokesper­son, Solly Malatsi would not com­ment on the re­ports, choos­ing to con­fine him­self to the an­nounce­ment of the deal.

“I don’t re­spond to ru­mours. There have been on­go­ing con­ver­sa­tions with De Lille. What mat­ters now is that there’s an agree­ment,” Malatsi said.

But while De Lille would not con­firm the of­fer of a move to the provin­cial leg­is­la­ture, she said her po­lit­i­cal ca­reer had never been about po­si­tions.

“I’ve con­stantly said that I can serve the coun­try in any ca­pac­ity,” she said.

She re­jected the sug­ges­tion that the time frame of the agree­ment she had reached with the DA was un­til end of next month.

“There’s noth­ing that says end of Au­gust. The process will fol­low the DA’s con­sti­tu­tion. But I have given Maimane my com­mit­ment to a fair and speedy process.”

Ac­cord­ing to the sources, the agree­ment reached with De Lille on the mo­tion of no con­fi­dence took the DA cau­cus mem­bers by sur­prise.

“Many of the cau­cus mem­bers were not happy about it. But when Maimane was ap­proached he was able to pacify them,” one source said.

Another said the DA cau­cus was con­fi­dent that the mo­tion of no con­fi­dence against De Lille would have suc­ceeded on the ba­sis of num­bers.

“Also, the ANC had been de­feated in its own mo­tion against the speaker, Dirk Smit, even though it had re­lied on sup­port from those re­garded as pro-De Lille. So they wouldn’t have sup­ported them as well in the DA mo­tion,” she said.

The DA’s pro­tracted bat­tle with De Lille goes back more than a year. It is one among other fac­tional bat­tles in its lo­cal gov­ern­ment lead­er­ships around the province, which also in­clude Knysna and George may­ors fac­ing the axe.

Ip­sos’s lat­est poll in­di­cates the DA could po­ten­tially lose 9% of its sup­port in next year’s gen­eral elec­tion, tak­ing just 13% of the vote.

Re­ports sur­faced yes­ter­day that when De Lille won her case against the party in May, Maimane had been in Lon­don fundrais­ing for the party’s elec­tion cam­paign, but fun­ders had been un­happy about the De Lille saga.

Po­lit­i­cal an­a­lyst Pro­fes­sor So­madoda Fikeni said the DA had no choice but to come up with the agree­ment to break the im­passe with De Lille.

“It might have been stung by a wide range of crit­i­cism by its own veteran mem­bers and the pub­lic on how clum­sily it had han­dled the De Lille is­sue,” Dikeni said.

“They had also em­bar­rassed them­selves by re­fus­ing to open the dis­ci­plinary process as they al­ways claim to be a trans­par­ent party and had in­sisted on the ANC to be trans­par­ent.”

Fikeni said next year’s elec­tions and the “re­bel­lion” by may­ors in some Western Cape mu­nic­i­pal­i­ties had also con­trib­uted to the about-turn in the DA po­si­tion. AN EX­PE­RI­ENCED com­bat shooter and gun safety ad­vo­cate will ap­ply for bail in the Worces­ter Mag­is­trate’s Court on Tues­day after be­ing charged this week for shoot­ing a waste picker dead at point-blank range.

Worces­ter’s well-known sharp­shooter, El­ton Weise, 44, who is also a brand am­bas­sador for the lo­cal gun­shop Out­fit­ters 4 Africa, ap­peared in court last week for the mur­der of Rood­e­wal res­i­dent Jo­hannes Jacobs, 27.

Last Fri­day, Weise, who is also a shoot­ing in­struc­tor, al­legedly shot Jacobs twice at point-blank range in Krone Street in Worces­ter’s in­dus­trial area.

The fa­tal shoot­ing oc­curred dur­ing an al­ter­ca­tion be­tween

Deadly al­ter­ca­tion erupted over waste metal

Pa­tri­cia de Lille

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from South Africa

© PressReader. All rights reserved.