Lawyers seeking earlier Ronaldo accuser
Lawyers acting for a former American model who has accused soccer star Cristiano Ronaldo of raping her in Las Vegas in 2009 have asked another woman, who made a sexual assault allegation against the Juventus star in England four years earlier, to come forward, The Sun reports.
The British tabloid said on Friday that Leslie Stovall, who is representing Ronaldo’s al- leged victim, Kathryn Mayorga, said he wanted any other potential accusers to contact him.
The Sun reported that Ronaldo, 33, had been arrested on suspicion of rape at London’s Sanderson Hotel in 2005 after a French-African woman laid a complaint.
However, the footballer, who was 20 and playing for Manchester United at the time, was never charged because England’s Crown Prosecution Service ruled there was not enough evidence.
The Sun quoted Stovall as saying: “I’m only aware of one person in England who alleged sexual assault. I would love to speak to that woman. I would be interested in identifying and contacting them.”
Kathryn Mayorga, 34, of Las Vegas, accused Ronaldo, in a 32-page complaint filed in September with a district court in Nevada, of raping her on June 13 2009. He strongly denied the allegation, describing rape as “abominable”. A sponsor, US sportswear giant Nike said it was deeply concerned by the allegations against Ronaldo. – Staff reporter, AFP