Dog starts fire by switch­ing on stove

Weekend Post (South Africa) - - World -

Se­cu­rity cam­era footage has re­vealed the ter­ri­fy­ing mo­ment a dog ac­ci­den­tally started a kitchen fire af­ter turn­ing on the stove.

The video shows a Ger­man shep­herd, Dahlia, jump­ing up and lean­ing on the stove, ac­ci­den­tally switch­ing on the gas burner, as a se­cond dog skulks in the back­ground.

Within sec­onds, a case of soda on top of the oven catches alight and the two dogs can do noth­ing but watch and cower in the cor­ner as it burns.

Sud­denly, there is a huge blast as one of the cans ex­plodes. The dogs man­aged to es­cape through a gate in the kitchen be­fore a se­cond can ex­ploded. For­tu­nately, the fire burned out be­fore caus­ing more dam­age, and the dogs were not harmed.

Their owner, Matthew Ruffino, couldn’t be­lieve it when he checked his se­cu­rity cam­era in­side his Michi­gan home.

“I’ve never known of a dog be­ing able to start a stove like that,” he told In­side Edi­tion. “So af­ter ac­tu­ally see­ing her nose turn it on, I was blown away. I’ve never seen any­thing like that be­fore.”

As many as 1,000 fires are started by pets each year.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from South Africa

© PressReader. All rights reserved.