Kearsney rugby tour­na­ment off to a great start

Weekend Witness - - Talking Sport - MIKE HILL Schools’ rugby

THE sixth an­nual Kearsney Fes­ti­val, un­doubt­edly the top schools’ rugby tour­na­ment in the coun­try, kicked off with hosts Kearsney play­ing Framesby from Port Elizabeth, on Thurs­day.

The weather was ideal, the rugby dur­ing the day had plenty of ex­cite­ment and fast run­ning, with plenty to please the crowd. As the games pro­gressed, the tries started coming in.

Kearsney 25 Framesby 8 The first game saw the home side dom­i­nat­ing for long pe­ri­ods of the first half. Kearsney were in­tent on run­ning the ball and this they did well. The ball was of­ten spread from touch line to touch line as the for­wards won the greater per­cent­age of the scrums and li­ne­outs.

The first points in the game came from just such a move where Joshua At­ten­bor­ough made the ini­tial run­ning be­fore pass­ing to full­back Chris Lines and his pace en­abled him to beat the de­fence on the out­side be­fore pass­ing in­side to cen­tre Langa Hlong­wane, who beat a tackle be­fore dot­ting down from 10 me­tres out. Tris­tan Ted­der added the ex­tra points and two penal­ties for a 13-0 lead.

Just be­fore half time, Ay­ron Schramm barged over and this time the con­ver­sion went wide but Kearsney had a com­fort­able and de­served half time 18-0 lead.

Framesby kicked a penalty by Ernst Stapel­berg and then they scored their first try when full­back Divo Wel­ge­moed added the ex­tra man in a move, with a try scored in the cor­ner. Kearsney had lost some of their first half dom­i­nance but they came back when lock Mitch du Toit picked up a loose ball and scram­bled over the line. The con­ver­sion by Jor­dan Gre­gory went be­tween the posts for the fi­nal 25-8 sat­is­fy­ing win by Kearsney.

Glen­wood 10 Paul Roos 15 Glen­wood had the bet­ter of the first quar­ter, but the longer the game ran, the stronger Paul Roos be­came and Glen­wood only oc­ca­sion­ally got out of their half. On th­ese few oc­ca­sions they did come close to scor­ing but Paul Roos de­fences held. It was a good spec­ta­tor spec­ta­cle as both sides at­tempted to move the ball.

Glen­wood scored the first points when Kyle Ger­hard slot­ted a penalty. They pressed hard, cre­at­ing op­por­tu­ni­ties and from a ruck close to the left touch­line Glen­wood moved the ball to lock Seth van den Heever who cre­ated a ruck in mid­field. The ball came back rapidly and moved to the right. Flank Mzwandile Maz­ibuko was on the right flank and he slipped down the line, evad­ing at­tempted tack­les to score mid­way be­tween the posts and touch. Ger­hard was suc­cess­ful with the con­ver­sion, giv­ing Glen­wood a 10-0 lead.

In the sec­ond quar­ter, Paul Roos looked more com­posed and got over for two tries, the first from scrumhalf Her­schell Jan­tjies and the sec­ond by fly­half Muller Brink, to leave the sides 10-10 at half­time.

In the sec­ond half, Paul Roos dom­i­nated in both pos­ses­sion and ter­ri­tory, as some of the Glen­wood for­wards ap­peared to tire. Full­back Chris Smit cre­ated a gap and then passed in­side to Jan­tjies who popped the ball to cen­tre Tris­tan Cramer who dived over. None of the three tries were con­verted, which gave Paul Roos the 15-10 win.

Westville 7 Paarl Gym 46 The fi­nal game of the first day saw a brave Westville dis­play against a tal­ented Paarl Gym. Dur­ing the first half, Paarl scored three tries but Westville spent most of the time in the Paarl half. In con­trast, each time Gym got close to the Westville red zone, they scored.

Wing Dy­lon Fair­bridge was first over the line, scor­ing in the cor­ner. The sec­ond try was scored by flank Gareth Cil­liers, when Westville missed a num­ber of tack­les and this time it was con­verted by Wy­att Murphy. Bren­dan Nell scored the third try, again con­verted by Murphy for a 22-0 half­time lead.

Paarl Gym raised their game in the sec­ond half and spent most of the game in the Westville half, scor­ing four tries. Prop DJ Naicker, cen­tre Wal­ter Smit, cen­tre Ryan Oosthuizen and Fair­bridge for his sec­ond try all scored, with Murphy con­vert­ing two of th­ese. In a last ditch ef­fort, Westville’s scrumhalf Reece McHardy sniped through con­verted by Louis Sny­man for seven points.

OTHER RE­SULTS Sel­borne Nico Malan: Grey Col­lege 50 Boland Land­bou 13; Outeni­qua 57 EG Jansen 34.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from South Africa

© PressReader. All rights reserved.