Business counts cost after fire
EARLY risers reported a fire in the eShowe Spar building at around 4am on Saturday.
The uMlalazi Municipality Protection Services are to be commended as they were on the scene within 15 minutes of receiving the report.
Local farmers Cameron Steenberg, Michael Abrahams and Jono Chennells responded with their fire carts and the flames were soon brought under control.
Lyndon Steenberg and Doug Pearson were also on hand, assisting wherever they could.
There were fears that the fire could spread to neighbouring shops, but there was no further damage.
Insurance assessors were expected to be on site on Tuesday, after which a decision as to what steps will be taken around the re-opening of the store and structural repairs.
Owner, Sean McHugh says that the community pulled together and averted what could have been an even bigger disaster.
He says, ‘We live in the most incredible community!
‘A huge thank you to everyone who helped fight the blaze.’
He also thanked Ward 11 councillor Stan Larkan who rallied the troops.
The fire will surely be a setback as the store was gearing up for peak Christmas shopping.
Fire tenders fighting the blaze at the eShowe Spar on Saturday