Dog burnt by acid spill at petrol sta­tion

Zululand Observer - Weekender - - ZO NEWS - Tam­lyn Jolly

AN Mtun­zini res­i­dent is count­ing the cost, both fi­nan­cially and emo­tion­ally, after his lit­tle dog suf­fered se­vere acid burns to her legs at an N2 fill­ing sta­tion south of Hluh­luwe.

Pro­fes­sor Louis de Clercq and his late wife’s dog Ge­drog­gie were in Jan­uary re­turn­ing home from Mpumalanga when they stopped at the petrol sta­tion for a toi­let break.

‘I stopped and re­leased Ge­drog­gie, my late wife’s lit­tle pet,’ said Pro­fes­sor de Clercq.

‘She got out of the bakkie, ran where she nor­mally runs through a ditch and her legs were all black.

‘I im­me­di­ately tried to clean the legs and put her back into the bakkie.

‘Then the poor an­i­mal went mad and my hands started burn­ing badly.’

De Clercq said he stopped driv­ing after re­al­is­ing what was hap­pen­ing and tried to wash Ge­drog­gie’s legs with his drinking wa­ter, to no avail.

‘This hap­pened in about ten min­utes. I rushed home and washed the legs again but no dif­fer­ence.’

He took Ge­drog­gie to the vet early the fol­low­ing morn­ing where she was di­ag­nosed with se­vere acid burns to her legs.

The burns were so se­vere that she re­quired con­stant vet­eri­nary treat­ment and mon­i­tor­ing at home.

The acid burnt through her fur and skin, and the lit­tle dog’s open wounds re­quired reg­u­lar treat­ment and changes of dress­ings.

Seven weeks after the in­ci­dent, two of Ge­drog­gie’s legs have been saved but the other two are still in a bad con­di­tion.

The pro­fes­sor said a truck had il­le­gally dis­posed of the acid in an un­fenced drainage ditch.

‘Trucks, cars and pedes­tri­ans are us­ing the same area, which is dan­ger­ous.

‘It could have eas­ily been a child who ran through the pool of acid.’

Apart from the mount­ing vet­eri­nary costs, Pro­fes­sor de Clercq has, in the ab­sence of any­one else at home to care for Ge­drog­gie and mon­i­tor her re­cov­ery, been forced to can­cel ap­point­ments and con­sul­tancy work, lead­ing to a loss of earn­ings.

After hav­ing not re­ceived any feed­back from the petrol sta­tion in ques­tion, the pro­fes­sor sub­mit­ted a claim for the al­most R40 000 he has lost through the or­deal.

The garage’s in­sur­ance com­pany sub­se­quently re­jected his claim.

‘We note from the in­sured’s email that var­i­ous con­tainer trucks vis­ited the site on that day and prior to the in­ci­dent,’ said the in­sur­ance com­pany in of­fi­cial cor­re­spon­dence with Pro­fes­sor de Clercq.

‘We find it dif­fi­cult to un­der­stand how our in­sured can be held re­spon­si­ble for in­juries to the dog.

‘Our in­sured can­not point out who the re­spon­si­ble party was that dumped the so-called ‘acid’.’

The pro­fes­sor is con­vinced the garage can be charged in terms of the en­vi­ron­men­tal leg­is­la­tion cov­er­ing the man­age­ment of toxic waste.

All four of lit­tle Ge­drog­gie’s legs were burnt to the esh

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from South Africa

© PressReader. All rights reserved.