National call-up for Zululand squash players Results
THREE Zululand squash players gained selection for South African Country Districts (SACD) teams that will play in the Growthpoint Jarvis Kaplan Cup tournament in Johannesburg in July.
This after their good performances at the KZN Country Districts tournament held in Empangeni and Richards Bay last week
Alex Tulleken was selected for the SACD men’s C side, with Divan Boonzaaier and Albero Els gaining selection for the D team.
The Zululand A team could not utilise their home
ground advantage and finished 9th out of ten teams competing in the men’s SACD division. In the SACF division, Zululand B, Zululand E, Zululand C and Zululand D teams finished 5th, 6th, 8th and 16th respectively. North West A dominated proceedings and won the SACD men’s and women’s divisions.
More than 150 players from across the country and Namibia competed in the tournament which Zuluand hosted for the first time since 1992.
‘I would just like to thank the Zululand Squash organising committee for their hard work and our main sponsors Netcare The Bay Hospital and Nashua for their valuable contributions,’ said Zululand player Tiaan van Wyk.
• SACD men’s division - 1 North West A, 2 Limpopo, 3 Dolphin Coast.
• SACD women’s division - 1 North West A, 2 Eden, 3 North West B.
• SACF men’s division - 1 SA National Defence Force, 2 Limpopo D, 3 SA Police Service A.
• Men’s A - Rudi van Niekerk, JP Brits, Jimmy Schelbusch, Karim Gawad and Christo Potgieter.
• Men’s B - Alwyn Venter, Dewald van Niekerk, Declan Silver, Thean Toerien and Hayden Worth.
• Men’s C - Xander Robinson, Charlie Fourie,
Michael Chennels and Conrad van Rensburg.
• Men’s D - Teagan Scorgie, Quinton Taljard, Marnus Janse van Rensburg,
Vincent van der Merwe, Shamier Cassiem, Dylan Niemack and
Zululand’s Werner Angell-Schau plays a forehand down the wall during his match at Empangeni Country Club
Zululand’s Tiaan van Wyk (middle) caught a quick photo with South African ranked players JP Brits (5th) and Rudi van Niekerk (15th) at the Richards Bay Country Club on Saturday Richard Springorum