THE NATIONAL government has finally conceded that it will have to produce the plan which contractors will use to convert the jam-prone N-332 road in Torrevieja into a dual carriageway.
A wrangle has been taking place between regional and national administrations over the issue since 2015, further delaying the vital infrastructure project for Torrevieja.
A project for the 8-km stretch of road had been drawn up by Valencia – but it took the national government so long to agree funding for the works that the plan was found to be out-of-date and in need of complete revision.
Mayor José Manuel Dolón announced on Tuesday that Madrid ‘will take on the drafting of the plan and widening of the N-332 in Torrevieja’.
“This is how it should be because each administration has its responsibilities,” he said, referring to the national road which comes under the remit of the state.
He was backed by national deputy for the Compromís party, Ignasi Candela who said that the Partido Popular (PP) government had been ‘lying to the people of Torrevieja for two years’.
Sr Candela noted that they had ‘finally accepted their responsibility’ for the road and accused them of washing their hands of the widening scheme for the last 12 years.
Mayor Dolón lamented that the PP had created a ‘fable’ in order to ‘do nothing to widen the road’.
At the press conference, he explained that he had received a new letter from the ministry of public works outlining their position.
At the same time the mayor thanked the ministry for their U-turn and said the town hall would help in any way possible to get the work done.
He said he hoped to be able to make this offer in a meeting with the minister in the near future.
Sr Dolón also reminded that the long delay in turning the N-332 into a dual carriageway in Torrevieja had created serious problems for residents of the town and the surrounding area.
Commenting this week, the local PP claimed that the national government had ‘saved’ the project.
Torrevieja’s PP spokesman Eduardo Dolón said that Madrid had taken on the scheme, ‘even though it was the regional government that should have done it’.
He also claimed that local residents had not backed the mayor in his bid to stage protests over the N-332 fiasco and to pressure the national government.
José Manuel Dolón shows the ministry's latest letter