All about chocolate
Table Talk by Chef Rob Millionaire shortbread Ingredients Makes: 20 chocolate caramel squares • For the shortbread • 170g plain flour • 60g caster sugar • 120g butter • For the caramel • 1 (397g) tin condensed milk 2 tbsps golden syrup 60g caster sugar 120g butter • • • Method
1. Preheat oven to 170 degrees C or gas mark 4. Lightly grease or line a 18cm square cake tin.
2. For the shortbread: Sieve the flour and sugar into a large bowl. With clean hands, rub the butter into the mixture until it comes together in dough. Press it into the bottom of the cake tin, spread evenly and prick with a fork all over. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
3. For the caramel: While the shortbread is baking, pour the condensed milk, syrup, sugar and butter into a saucepan. Cook over a low heat, stirring all the time. This takes a while but has to be done carefully otherwise, it will stick to the pan and burn. Watch it closely, and when it turns a deep caramel colour, pour it over the shortbread.
4. Allow it to cool for 30 minutes or so, then pour over melted chocolate. Transfer to fridge for another 30 minutes or so to set before slicing into squares.
5. They will keep for 5 days if stored in an airtight tin or the fridge. Chocolate and walnut brownies Ingredients
• 400g caster sugar • • • • • • • • Method
1. Mix all ingredients in the order given.
2. Bake at 180 C / Gas mark 4 for 20 - 25 minutes in a rectangular 23x33cm greased baking tin.
3. Cool, and slice into equal square portions. Rocky Road tray bake Ingredients • 125g butter • 125g digestive crumbs 110g desiccated coconut 175g chopped walnuts 325g chocolate chips 75g miniature marshmalows 1 (397g) tin condensed sweetened milk 60g plain chocolate, melted • • • • • • biscuit Method
1. Preheat oven to 180 C / Gas 4.
2. In a 20x30cm baking dish, melt the butter and sprinkle the digestive crumbs over the melted butter. Mix together and press onto bottom of dish.
3. Layer coconut, nuts, chocolate chips and marshmallows over biscuit base. Drizzle the condensed milk evenly over all.
4. Bake at 180 C for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and drizzle with the melted chocolate. Cool completely and cut into squares. Chocolate chip cookies Ingredients • 225g (8 oz) butter, softened 200g (7 oz) caster sugar 225g (8 oz) dark brown soft sugar 2 eggs 1 dessertspoon vanilla essence 375g (13 oz) plain flour • • • • • 225g butter, melted 60g cocoa powder 1 tsp vanilla extract 4 eggs 225g plain flour 1/2 tsp baking powder 1/2 tsp salt 60g walnut halves • • • • • Method
1. Preheat oven to 180 C / Gas mark 4.
2. Cream together the butter, caster sugar and brown sugar until smooth. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then stir in the vanilla. Dissolve bicarbonate of soda in hot water. Add to batter along with salt. Stir in flour, chocolate chips and nuts. Drop by large spoonfuls onto ungreased baking trays.
3. Bake for about 10 minutes in the preheated oven, or until edges are nicely browned. Red velvet cake Ingredients • 250g butter, softened • 600g caster sugar • 6 eggs • 2 tbsps red food colouring 3 tbsps best quality cocoa powder 375g plain flour 250ml buttermilk 1 tsp vanilla extract 1/2 tsp salt 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda 1 tbsp vinegar Icing 2 (200g) cheese 350g white chocolate 250g butter, softened • • • • • • • • • • • 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda 1 dessertspoon hot water 1/2 tsp salt 350g (12 oz) dark chocolate chips 125g (4¼ oz) chopped walnuts tubs cream Method
1. Preheat oven to 170 C / Gas mark 3. Grease and flour three 20cm tins.
2. In a large bowl, cream 250g butter with sugar. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Mix food colouring with cocoa and add to mixture.
3. Add flour alternately with buttermilk. Add vanilla and salt.
4. Mix bicarbonate of soda with vinegar, and gently stir into mixture. Be careful not to over mix.
5. Divide cake mixture into three prepared tins. Bake in the preheated oven for 25 minutes. Allow to cool.
6. To make the white chocolate cream cheese Icing: Melt the white chocolate and allow to cool to lukewarm. In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in melted white chocolate and softened butter. Beat until it is the consistency of whipped cream, then use to fill and ice the cake. Chocolate beetroot cake Ingredients • 250g well-drained, cooked beetroots, pureed 1/2 tsp vanilla extract 300g caster sugar 250ml vegetable oil 3 eggs 225g plain flour 1 1/2 tsps bicarbonate of soda 1/4 tsp salt 6 tbsps unsweetened cocoa powder • • • • • • • •
1. Preheat oven to 180 C / Gas 4. Grease and flour one 20x30cm (9x13 in) or similar sized baking tin.
2. In a large bowl, combine pureed beetroots, eggs, vanilla, oil and sugar. Mix with an electric mixer on low speed until well combined.
3. In a separate bowl, mix together flour, bicarbonate of soda, salt and cocoa. Add to the creamed mixture, beating together well. Pour batter into prepared tin.
4. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes until done. Cool and frost with your favourite icing.