Un­beaten Barcelona and Va­len­cia set the pace

Costa del Sol News - - FRONT PAGE -

Mar­cos Asen­sio made it 2-0 shortly af­ter half-time, strik­ing a fe­ro­cious first-time ef­fort from long range, and Isco rounded off the scor­ing in the 74th minute when he slot­ted in Ron­aldo’s low de­liv­ery. Real are now third, level on points with Atlético Madrid, and eight points be­hind lead­ers Barcelona.

Newly-pro­moted GIRONA moved into the top half of the ta­ble af­ter fol­low­ing up last week’s shock win over Real Madrid with a 2-1 suc­cess at LE­VANTE. Borja Gar­cía opened the scor­ing for Girona on 58 min­utes with a rocket shot into the top corner, be­fore for­mer Mid­dles­brough striker Cristhian Stu­ani dou­bled the ad­van­tage six mintues from time when tuck­ing home from close range for his sixth goal of the sea­son. Enes Unal claimed a late con­so­la­tion for the hosts with a pow­er­ful header but Le­vante slipped to a sec­ond home de­feat this term.

CELTA VIGO ended a run of suc­ces­sive de­feats by sweep­ing aside ATH­LETIC BIL­BAO 3-1 at Balaí­dos. The sides were level on 11 points at kick­off, but it was Celta who raced into a three-goal lead in­side the open­ing 26 min­utes. Sergi Gómez got the ball rolling af­ter 15 min­utes and a brace from Spain for­ward Iago As­pas ef­fec­tively killed the game. Los Leones did pull one back just be­fore the break through Raúl Gar­cía, but that was as good as it got for Ath­letic, who have now lost four in a row.

REAL SO­CIEDAD emerged 3-1 vic­tors at Anoeta in the Basque derby against EIBAR, who have now gone seven games with­out a win. A Wil­lian José header from a right-wing cross and Ad­nan Januzaj’s tap-in put La Real out of sight within 28 min­utes, while Mikel Oyarz­a­bal killed off the vis­i­tors once and for all with a goal al­most im­me­di­ately af­ter the restart. Joan Jordán pulled one back on 71 min­utes for Los Armeros, but they have not picked up three points since a 1-0 de­feat of Le­ganés in mid-Septem­ber.

VIL­LAR­REAL made it four wins in five league games un­der Javi Calleja with a 2-0 vic­tory over strug­gling MÁLAGA at the Es­ta­dio de la Ce- rámica. How­ever, it took un­til the 68th minute for the Yel­low Sub­ma­rine to fi­nally break down a re­silient Málaga de­fence, Ni­cola San­sone head­ing home from close in, and the Ital­ian was on the mark again eight min­utes later when rac­ing clear to slot home. It was enough to move the Yel­low Sub­ma­rine into the top five, while Los Blan­quiazules fell to bot­tom and are still with­out a goal on their trav­els this sea­son.

REAL BETIS needed to come from two goals down to sal­vage a 2-2 draw with GETAFE at the Ben­ito Vil­la­marín. Los Béti­cos’ hopes of fifth home win in six games looked to be in tat­ters dur­ing a first half in which Markel Ber­gara net­ted for the Madrid side and a goal from Fran­cisco Por­tillo – against his for­mer team – seem­ingly fired Getafe to a sec­ond straight win. None­the­less, a sec­ond away win of the cam- paign proved be­yond them as Betis boss Quique Setién saw his 63rd-minute in­tro­duc­tion of An­to­nio Sanabria and Ryad Boude­bouz pay div­i­dends. Sanabria halved the deficit when he drilled home a low shot just five min­utes af­ter com­ing on for his sev­enth goal of the cam­paign, be­fore fel­low sub­sti­tute Boude­bouz crashed home the equaliser with three min­utes re­main­ing.

ATLÉTICO MADRID needed a goal in stop­page time to see off DE­PORTIVO LA CORUÑA 1-0 in a hard-fought con­test at Ri­a­zor. Af­ter a first half which saw nei­ther team man­age a shot on tar­get, there was not much more en­ter­tain­ment af­ter the restart, with An­toine Griez­mann miss­ing Atleti’s best chance early in the sec­ond pe­riod. How­ever, Diego Sime­one’s men grabbed all three points when Thomas Partey found the top corner in the 91st minute with a side­footed shot. The re­sult earned Los Ro­ji­blan­cos a sec­ond win in nine matches and ended a run of three con­sec­u­tive draws in the league and Copa del Rey.

ALAVÉS lifted them­selves off the bot­tom with a 1-0 home tri­umph over ESPANYOL – their first of the sea­son at Men­di­zor­roza. Chris­tian San­tos needed barely a minute to se­cure the three points for Gianni De Bi­asi’s team, the Venezue­lan striker’s left­footed shot from in­side the penalty area find­ing the net fol­low­ing a corner. Espanyol’s cause was not helped when de­fender Mario Her­moso was sent off five min­utes be­fore half-time for a sec­ond book­able of­fence.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Spain

© PressReader. All rights reserved.