Expat’s miracle rescue
Swiss national on the road to recovery after electrocution leaves him in cardiac arrest and blue from lack of blood flow
By Samantha Kett A MONTE Pego resident was saved from the brink of death by the Guardia Civil’s prompt action on Monday evening after being electrocuted and falling from a telegraph pole.
The victim, a 33-year-old Swiss national, is thought to have tried to recover a ball from the top of the post using a pool-cleaning net pole, but suffered a massive shock and was flung to the ground.
Police found him in cardiac arrest and said his skin was already turning blue from lack of oxygen and circulation.
They started giving him CPR and called Acció Urgent ambulances in Pego town.
But the man’s throat muscles had contracted and closed up, meaning they could not perform mouth-to-mouth, so they tried to insert a cannula down his windpipe, albeit without success.
Paramedics intubated him while police continued with CPR, before resorting to a defibrillator when they were unable to get his heart started manually.
Once he was breathing again and had a pulse, he was swiftly transferred to A&E in Dénia.
Despite his extreme situation and the terror seen in the group of distressed expats outside the villa, the victim is now said to be out of danger.
He remains in hospital under observation, but his condition is no longer critical and he is expected to make a full recovery.