6 people homeless after fire
6 people were left homeless after a house located along the Soemeerweg in Paramaribo went up in flames on Monday night. Fire Department spokesman Olton Pinas told Times of Suriname that the Fire Department Suriname (KBS) received the call around 18:24 and that firefighters arrived at the location around 18:56. When the firefighters arrived at the location, the wooden house was already ablaze. Reports indicate that 3 adults and 3 children lived in the house.
Pinas pointed out that it is not clear where the residents were at the time of the fire and who had noticed the fire because the people were all in shock. The house was not connected to the electricity network and it also had not been insured against fire. Firefighters reportedly took a 28 lbs. gas cylinder out of the burning house. Nobody was injured. “The entire house and furniture went up in flames. It is not clear how the fire started but the police have already launched an investigation.”