Boat capsizes in Philippines; at least five dead and one missing
A passenger boat overloaded with 55 people and heavy cargo has capsized in the southern Philippines, leaving at least five dead and one missing, officials said Friday.
Coast guard spokesman William Arquero said it was unclear if more are missing because the unregistered vessel left Jolo Island for nearby Tapul Island without inspection and clearance from authorities. Also on board were 100 bags of cement and assorted cargo.
He said 14 survivors rescued by three passing boats were brought to a hospital while an unknown number of survivors were taken to Tapul.
According to survivors, the boat left Jolo Thursday morning and capsized several hours later, he said. The coast guard learned of the incident only on Thursday evening.
"It's possible there are more missing because we have no way of checking," Arquero said.
He said there were no gale warnings in the area, and it was likely the boat was not able to withstand the waves because it was overloaded.
Military spokesman Lt. Col. Harold Cabunoc said a Navy boat was sent to the area to help, and that five of the passengers were found dead. angry over land, water and other local issues occupied the platform of a high-speed train station Thursday night, shutting down service for about half an hour.
A statement from the city of Puning said police arrested 22 people in relation to the protest, and no one was injured. The statement said protesters cut through barbed wire, letting 40 of them take over the station.
Protesters started petitioning local authorities over their concerns in September, the statement said, and officials had been working to resolve the disputes. The statement didn't specify what those concerns were.
The protesters interrupted service from the manufacturing hub of Shenzhen north to the city of Xiamen.
China sees thousands of small protests yearly over everything from labor grievances to land disputes. ices. More serious charges such as gangsterism and human trafficking could be coming, authorities said.
Royal Canadian Mounted Police said the alleged victims received assistance from a criminal organization to enter the country under false pretenses before being exploited and made to work under appalling conditions. After several weeks or months, they were returned home.
Charged earlier this week were Le Yu, 38, and Anyang Cui, 26, both of Montreal, and Kai Chen, 37, and Nan Wu, 33, from suburban Notre-Dame-de-L'Ile-Perrot.
Jeonghwan Seo, 34, of Toronto, was arrested late Wednesday.
Police say that leaves Melanie WilliamsJohnson, 20, of Montreal, as the last suspect still on the run.
Police Constable Erique Gasse said 500 is a conservative estimate for the number of alleged victims and that the police probe began in January 2014.