NATO soldier dies in firefight between US and Afghan forces
A NATO soldier was killed Wednesday in a firefight between U.S. and Afghan troops in eastern Afghanistan, the first apparent insider attack since the U.S. announced a delay in troop withdrawals from the country.
The gunfight erupted after an Afghan soldier opened fire on an American delegation outside the governor’s compound in Jalalabad, the capital of the militantinfested province of Nangarhar.
“U.S. soldiers returned fire, killing the shooter and wounding two other members of the Afghan National Army. We are investigating to find out the motive behind the shooting,” Nangarhar police chief Fazel Ahmad Shirzad told AFP. A NATO soldier was also killed. The “incident in Jalalabad today resulted in the death of one Resolute Support service member”, said a brief statement from Resolute Support, the new name for the NATO mission in Afghanistan.
Following its usual policy, the mission did not give the nationality of the victim.
U. S. embassy spokeswoman, said the incident occurred after a senior U.S. official held a meeting with the provincial governor in Jalalabad.
So-called “green-on-blue” attacks — when Afghan soldiers or police turn their guns on international troops — were a major problem during NATO’s long years fighting alongside Afghan forces.
But the rate of such incidents, reflecting long- simmering tensions between Afghan and foreign forces, has dropped sharply in recent years.
Most NATO combat troops pulled out of Afghanistan last year but a small contingent remains, including roughly 10,000 American soldiers.
The U.S. soldiers, along with other NATO troops and private contractors, are focusing on training Afghanistan’s national security forces.
One of the worst insider attacks took place last August when U.S. Maj. Gen. Harold Greene was killed — the most senior American military officer to die in action overseas since the Vietnam War.