Farglory hits back over Taipei Dome
Farglory’s ‘greed’ for bigger Dome leads to damage of cultural park: Ko
Farglory Group ( President Tang Chia-feng ( ) said that it would be impossible to dismantle the Taipei Dome or change contractors, in accordance with the BOT agreement signed with Taipei City. In a press conference organized by Farglory, company Chairman Chao Teng-hsiung ( ) blasted Taipei City Mayor Ko Wen-je ( ) over continued uncertainties toward the completion of the Taipei Dome, accusing the city of politicizing the issue of construction. Chao stated he was willing to promise “on his life” that a safe arena would be constructed.
The recent row started on April 16 when city officials deemed the structure a potential safety hazard. Farglory, the contracted construction firm, claims that the arena adheres to international safety standards.
Chao vented his anger to the press yesterday, saying that the company had been “scolded, hit and has not been allowed to speak.” He also accused city officials of violating the rules of the game, and that Farglory was taking the blame for issues the city should have dealt with. Chao said that construction was hanging in the balance as the city government acts
in accordance with Mayor Ko.
Halt in Construction could Damage
Earlier in the day, Ko stated that a temporary halt in construction could prove detrimental to Line 5 (BanqiaoNangang line) of the Taipei MRT. Underground digging at the construction site has reached a depth of 20 meters which, if left dormant, could cause a potential cave-in, he said. He also said that more cracks have appeared on the historical chimney structure adjacent to the construction site at the Songshan Cultural and Creative Park ( ) after yesterday’s earthquake, with the damage exacerbated by Farglory’s “greed” to increase the total area of the Dome.
Farglory later refuted Ko’s statement. It also emphasized that the arena would be able to withstand a magnitude 7 earthquake.
Ko asked Farglory if it could vouch for the Dome’s safety. The mayor added “do you believe there are no safety issues, and no need for improvement?”
City officials stated in an April 16 safety review that the outer areas of the stadium did not provide adequate room for potential evacuees in an emergency. The surrounding areas of the arena can currently hold ap- proximately 60,000, far short of the space needed for the approximately 142,000 persons in a complete evacuation. Ko said yesterday that the city’s previous concerns about the safe evacuation of the arena and its surrounding area did not even touch upon downtown rush hour traffic conditions.
The Taipei Dome site is located parallel to the city’s main artery, Zhongxiao East Road, and its intersection with Guangfu South Road.
MeHAS City Negotiations Continue
Earlier in the day, Ko met with members of Radium Life Tech Co. (
) during second-round negotiations over the MeHAS City ( ) corruption case.
In 2013, the Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office accused former officials of the Taipei City Department of Rapid Transit Systems (DORTS) of reducing cost estimates to Radium, while inflating the latter firm’s contribution to the joint development. Former Taipei City Mayor Hau Lungbin demanded NT$7.6 billion be refunded to the city.
Ko said that the amount of compensation to the city in the MeHAS project could be discussed. Taipei City officials also want to bring other joint development projects onto the table for renegotiation, including the MRT's Taipei Main, Yongchun, Muzha and Daqiaotou stations, as well as development of areas surrounding the Nangang MRT Depot.