MND welcomes mainlanders to take part in victory celebrations
The Ministry of National Defense ( MND) yesterday said it welcomes People’s Republic of China nationals who took part in the Second Sino-Japanese War to participate in events to be held in Taiwan to commemorate the 70th anniversary of the R.O.C.’s victory over Japan in the eight-year war.
Mainlanders are welcome to participate in the events that will display historical archives to be launched later this year to commemorate and honor R.O.C. soldiers’ contributions to the country and its triumph in the war that lasted from 1937 to 1945, military spokesman Luo Shao-he (
) said yesterday. “We do welcome those ( mainland) Chinese nationals who par- ticipated in the eight- year war to join the celebration events in Taiwan as long as they are interested in doing so,” Luo.
However, they cannot participate in a military display to be staged on July 4 to showcase R.O.C. military capabilities at a parade ground in Hsinchu County, Luo said.
The Regulation Governing the Approval of People of the Mainland Area Visiting Taiwan for Purposes of Tourism (
) stipulates that PRC nationals are not allowed to visit military facilities during their stay in Taiwan for security reasons, he said.
The Cabinet announced earlier this year that it will hold a total of 16 activities to be held July 7 to Oct. 25 nationwide.
Comprising book launches, film screenings, historical archive exhibitions and international seminars, the events focus attention on the efforts of the R.O.C. in winning the Second Sino-Japanese War.
The MND later announced that it will hold a public display featuring some of the high-tech equipment used by the R.O.C. Armed Forces and it will invite President Ma Yingjeou to preside over the event.