Cou­ple busted in NT$8.5 mil. in­sur­ance scam

The China Post - - LOCAL - BY SUN HSIN- HSUN

A 31-year-old Tai­wanese woman named Liu Yuan-ke ( ) was taken into cus­tody yes­ter­day for al­legedly com­mit­ting in­sur­ance fraud worth more than NT$8.5 mil­lion with her 32-year-old Burme­seChi­nese boyfriend Tseng Ruei-cheng ( ), the Crim­i­nal In­ves­ti­ga­tion Bureau (CIB, ) has said.

Liu and Tseng bought NT$500,000 worth of life in­sur­ance from Mer­curies Life In­sur­ance Ltd. ( ) and NT$8 mil­lion worth of travel in­sur­ance from Nan Shan Life In­sur­ance ( ) in May 2012, be­fore de­part­ing for a trip to Myan­mar in Oc­to­ber 2012, said CIB agents.

Liu then al­legedly faked her death, and Tseng held a me­mo­rial cer­e­mony for her in Myan­mar, even tak­ing pho­tos of her ly­ing in a cof­fin to back up the scam, said the po­lice. Tseng then bought a fake death cer­tifi­cate with a NT$10,000 bribe from a Myan­mar hos­pi­tal, and re­turned to Tai­wan to claim in­sur­ance money, said the po­lice.

Ac­cord­ing to the CIB, Tseng re­ceived a NT$500,000 pay­out from Mer­curies Life In­sur­ance Ltd., Nan Shan, how­ever, were sus­pi­cious, and fol­low­ing nor­mal pro­ce­dure when a death oc­curs over­seas, asked the CIB to in­ves­ti­gate in July 2014.

Af­ter in­ves­ti­ga­tion, the CIB dis­cov­ered that no rel­a­tives of Liu had trav­eled to Myan­mar for the fu­neral in 2012. More­over, no doc­tor at the Myan­mar hos­pi­tal matched the name of the doc­tor on the fake death cer­tifi­cate, said agents.

Tseng con­tin­ued to travel back and forth be­tween Tai­wan and Myan­mar af­ter 2012, stay­ing for only a few days in Tai­wan yet for sev­eral months in Myan­mar, which made the CIB sus­pect that Liu may be alive in Myan­mar, of­fi­cials said.

Tseng Taken into Cus­tody

The CIB said they took Tseng into cus­tody in April 2015 af­ter he re­turned to Tai­wan from Myan­mar. He then ad­mit­ted to the in­sur­ance scam.

Ac­cord­ing to CIB agents, Tseng met Liu seven years ago in Myan­mar, and they then started a life to­gether in Taipei, how­ever, when they found them­selves un­em­ployed and in debt of NT$300,000 to credit card com­pa­nies three years ago, they came up with the plan to de­fraud money from in­sur­ance com­pa­nies, move to Myan­mar, and never re­turn to Tai­wan again.

Fol­low­ing Tseng’s tes­ti­mony, the CIB sum­moned Liu back to Tai­wan, and took her into cus­tody last night at Tai­wan Taoyuan In­ter­na­tional Air­port.

Ac­cord­ing to the CIB, Liu and Tseng are charged with fraud and forgery, and the case will be fol­lowed up by the Taipei Dis­trict Pros­e­cu­tors Of­fice ( ).


Agents of the Crim­i­nal In­ves­ti­ga­tion Bureau take 31-year-old Liu Yuan-ke (

) into cus­tody on charges of fraud and forgery yes­ter­day. Liu and her boyfriend have al­legedly com­mit­ted in­sur­ance fraud by fak­ing a death on a trip in Myan­mar.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Taiwan

© PressReader. All rights reserved.