Email connects Blatter to US$10 mil.: report
A 2007 email shows FIFA President Sepp Blatter and then-South African President Thabo Mbeki held “discussions” over US$10 million that ultimately went to allegedly corrupt soccer executives as payback for supporting the country’s World Cup bid, a newspaper claimed Sunday.
South Africa’s Sunday Times reported that the email from FIFA secretary general Jerome Valcke to the South African government asks when the US$10 million will be transferred.
The newspaper said that in the email, which was not published, Valcke wrote that the US$10 million was “based on discussions between FIFA and the South African government, and also between our President (Blatter) and President Thabo Mbeki.”
American investigators alleged in their indictment into corruption in world soccer that the US$10 million went to Jack Warner, who is currently under arrest, as payback for him and two other senior FIFA executives voting for South Africa to host the 2010 World Cup.
FIFA and the South African government have said it was money given legitimately by South Africa to help soccer development in Warner’s Caribbean region. Mbeki’s office denied any involvement in bribes in a statement when the FIFA corruption scandal broke.
However, the South African money ended up going directly to former FIFA vice president Warner of Trinidad and American Chuck Blazer, both former members of FIFA’s executive committee. Blazer has admitted to receiving bribes in connection with the 2004 vote that resulted in South Africa becoming the first African nation to host the World Cup.
Warner is one of 14 soccer and marketing officials indicted and under arrest on corruption charges, which include racketeering, bribery and money laundering.
Blatter quit as FIFA president last week with the world soccer body rocked by the biggest scandal in its 111-year history. The 79-year-old Blatter has not been specifically implicated in the Justice Department investigation.
In Valcke’s email, which is dated Dec. 7, 2007, according to the Sunday Times, he refers to the US$10 million as a commitment “to the legacy programme for the diaspora and specifically the Caribbean countries” and says it stems from talks between Blatter and Mbeki, who was president at the time of South Africa’s successful World Cup bid. He left office in 2008.
Valcke’s email pre-dates correspondence from then-chief South African World Cup organizer Danny Jordaan and then-South African Football Association president Molefi Oliphant asking FIFA to shave US$10 million off South Africa’s World Cup budget to send to Warner. In Oliphant’s letter, he twice asks for the US$10 million to be controlled specifically by Warner.
South Africa won the World Cup by beating Morocco 14-10 in a vote of FIFA’s ruling panel of executives in Zurich in 2004. The U.S. DOJ alleges that vote was completely corrupted, with Warner, Blazer and an unnamed South American official agreeing to take bribes to back South Africa. Morocco also attempted to bribe Warner, the DOJ alleged in its indictment documents.
This image made available by Kensington Palace Saturday, June 6, taken by Her Royal Highness Kate, Duchess of Cambridge, at Anmer Hall, eastern England in mid-May shows HRH Princess Charlotte of Cambridge, right, being held by her brother, 2-year-old, HRH Prince George of Cambridge. The UK’s royals have been photographed by some of the world’s leading photographers. But Prince William and Kate are continuing a more informal tradition begun two years ago with the first official portrait of Prince George, taken by his grandfather Michael Middleton. Princess Charlotte was born May 2 and is fourth in line to the thrones of 16 countries.
Ireland soccer supporters pose for photographs with a cardboard cut-out of FIFA President Sepp Blatter, outside the Aviva stadium, prior to the start of the international friendly soccer match between Ireland and England, in Dublin, Republic of Ireland on Sunday, June 7.