WHO plan­ning to soon hold MERS emer­gency meet­ing

The China Post - - INTERNATIONAL -

The World Health Or­ga­ni­za­tion said Fri­day it would soon call an emer­gency meet­ing on the Mid­dle East Re­s­pi­ra­tory Syn­drome (MERS) as the death toll from the virus rises in South Korea.

South Korea has suf­fered the largest out­break of the virus out­side Saudi Ara­bia.

A 72-year-old woman be­came the lat­est fa­tal­ity on Fri­day af­ter be­ing in­fected by a MERS pa­tient at a hos­pi­tal, the health min­istry said, tak­ing the death toll in the coun­try to 11.

So far, 126 cases have been recorded in South Korea since May 20 when the first case sur­faced.

Cur­rently, 3,680 peo­ple are un­der quar­an­tine. A to­tal of 1,249 peo­ple have been re­leased from quar­an­tine.

WHO’s “emer­gency com­mit­tee will meet soon” to dis­cuss the cri­sis, spokesman Tarik Jasare­vic told re­porters in Geneva, with­out spec­i­fy­ing a date.

He stressed that “the num­ber of new cases is de­creas­ing,” but warned: “we have to mon­i­tor the sit­u­a­tion.”

The com­mit­tee will de­ter­mine whether the cur­rent out­break “con­sti­tutes a global health emer­gency cri­sis,” he said.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Taiwan

© PressReader. All rights reserved.