Al-Qaida confirms top commander killed in US strike
Al-Qaida has confirmed that its second-in-command, the chief of its powerful Yemeni branch, was killed in a U.S. drone strike, in the heaviest blow to the jihadist network since the death of Osama bin Laden.
Already struggling with the rise of rival jihadists from the Islamic State group, al-Qaida has suffered a series of setbacks in recent months with several com- manders reported killed.
In a video statement, al-Qaida in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) confirmed that Nasir al-Wuhayshi was dead.
Wuhayshi “was killed in a U.S. drone attack that targeted him along with two other mujahedeen,” who were also killed, said the statement read by prominent al-Qaida militant Khaled Omar Batarfi and dated June 15.
AQAP — which was behind several plots against Western targets including the deadly attack on French magazine Charlie Hebdo in Paris earlier this year — said it had named its military chief Qassem al-Rimi as its new leader.
U.S. officials were earlier reported to have been reviewing intelligence to confirm that Wuhayshi was killed in a CIA drone strike on June 9.
A local Yemeni official had told AFP that Wuhayshi was believed to have been killed in the raid in al-Qaida-held Mukalla, in southeastern Yemen.
Another Yemeni official told AFP last week that a drone had fired four missiles at three al-Qaida militants, including an unnamed “leading figure,” near Mukalla port, killing them on the spot.
The U.S. government had offered a US$10 million reward for any information leading to Wuhayshi’s capture or killing.
A former aide to bin Laden, Wuhayshi attended the group’s Al-Farouk training camp in Afghanistan in the late 1990s.
He is said to have fled Afghanistan in 2002 to Iran, where he was arrested and handed over to Yemen.
He was held there without charge until he escaped by tunneling his way out of prison with 22 others in February 2006.
In 2007, Wuhayshi was named head of AQAP, which Washington considers al- Qaida’s deadliest branch.