Uni Air’s ‘may­day’ call in line with pro­ce­dures: CAA

The China Post - - LOCAL -

The Civil Avi­a­tion Ad­min­is­tra­tion (CAA) said Fri­day that the cap­tain of a Uni Air ( ) plane acted ac­cord­ing to stan­dard op­er­a­tion pro­ce­dures when he shut down an en­gine and called “may­day” shortly af­ter tak­ing off in Taipei.

The MD-90 took off from Taipei Song­shan Air­port for the out­ly­ing is­land of Kin­men at 7:03 a.m., but the cap­tain no­ticed that the tem­per­a­ture of the right en­gine had reached an ab­nor­mally high 928 de­grees Cel­sius when the plane reached an al­ti­tude of 4,500 feet.

To pre­vent the en­gine from fur- ther dam­age, the cap­tain man­u­ally shut down the right en­gine as a pre­cau­tion and called “may­day” three times be­fore re­turn­ing to Taipei Song­shan Air­port at 7:29 a.m.

The 151 pas­sen­gers later boarded an Air­bus A321 that took off at 10:15 a.m. and landed in Kin­men at 11:43 a.m.

Lin Chun-liang, a di­vi­sion chief of the CAA, said the cap­tain found the tem­per­a­ture of the right en­gine reached an alarm­ing level shortly af­ter take-off and shut down the en­gine as a pre­cau­tion and called “may­day” to air traf­fic con­trollers to ob­tain pri­or­ity land­ing rights, in line with stan­dard pro­ce­dures.

Thomas Wang, the chief ex­ec­u­tive of the Flight Safety Coun­cil, said that when a pi­lot needs ur­gent as­sis­tance, he can call “may­day” to get the fastest re­sponse.

Be­cause only one en­gine was left for nor­mal op­er­a­tion, it was best to land as quickly as pos­si­ble to en­sure safety, said Wang, who de­scribed the cap­tain’s ap­proach as a “nor­mal pro­ce­dure.”

The CAA said it de­manded that Uni Air re­place the plane’s en­gine be­fore the MD-90 could take off again.

In ad­di­tion, the CAA will in­ves­ti­gate the cause of the in­ci­dent based on in­ter­views with crew mem­bers and in­for­ma­tion from the voice data recorder and flight data recorder.

An in­spec­tion of the plane found me­tal fil­ings on the en­gine’s tail pipe, and the CAA felt they were the re­sult of dam­age dur­ing the en­gine’s op­er­a­tion and was not a pre-flight in­spec­tion prob­lem.

The CAA said the last time the plane was in­spected was on May 10. The right en­gine, an IAV E2500 D5 type, was in­stalled on Oct. 18, 2013 and had flown 3,864 hours.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Taiwan

© PressReader. All rights reserved.