South Korea re­ports its 32nd MERS death

The China Post - - LIFE GUIDE POST -

South Korea on Sun­day re­ported its 32nd death from MERS as the virus’s mor­tal­ity rate con­tin­ued to rise even as the pace of the out­break ap­peared to slow.

A 55-year-old man died Satur­day of Mid­dle East Res­pi­ra­tory Dis­ease, the health min­istry said, putting the latest mor­tal­ity rate at 17.5 per­cent.

That is up from 15 per­cent a week ago and 10 per­cent two weeks ago, though still lower than World Health Or­ga­ni­za­tion fig­ures which put the mor­tal­ity rate for the dis­ease at around 36 per­cent.

The man was di­ag­nosed on June 9 af­ter con­tract­ing the virus at Sam­sung Med­i­cal Cen­ter in Seoul — the epi­cen­ter of the out­break where about 90 pa­tients, visi­tors and med­i­cal staff had been in­fected.

The to­tal num­ber of in­fec­tions re­mained un­changed at 182 and fif­teen pa­tients were in crit­i­cal con­di­tion, the health min­istry said.

A to­tal of 91 pa­tients have re­cov­ered and been re­leased from hos­pi­tal, in­clud­ing one on Satur­day, ac­cord­ing to the min­istry.

As of Sun­day, a to­tal of 2,562 peo­ple were un­der quar­an­tine ei- ther at state fa­cil­i­ties or at home, it added.

The out­break started on May 20 when a 68-year-old man was di­ag­nosed af­ter re­turn­ing from a trip to Saudi Ara­bia.

Since then the po­ten­tially deadly virus — for which there is no vac­cine — has spread at an un­usu­ally rapid pace in the Asia’s fourth­largest econ­omy, be­com­ing the largest out­break out­side Saudi Ara­bia and spark­ing public alarm at home and else­where in Asia.

South Korea’s gov­ern­ment is fac­ing crit­i­cism for fail­ing to stop the out­break.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Taiwan

© PressReader. All rights reserved.