Mother of woman who died pleads for help for son

The China Post - - LOCAL -

The mother of 20-year-old Lee Pei-yun, who died Mon­day from in­juries sus­tained in a wa­ter park­fire Satur­day night, has ap­pealed for help to save her 12-year-old son who was also in­jured in the ac­ci­dent in New Taipei.

“Please save my son ... I have lost one daugh­ter and I can­not bear to lose a son,” said the teary-eyed mother while plead­ing for help to have her son trans­ferred to a hos­pi­tal with a burn cen­ter.

Her daugh­ter, the first of the roughly 500 peo­ple in­jured in the fire to pass away, was de­clared dead at 2:21 p.m. Mon­day at Chung ShanMed­i­cal Univer­sity Hos­pi­tal in Taichung, af­ter emer­gency treat­ment­failed.

She suf­fered sec­ond- de­gree burns to over 90 per­cent of her bodyand in­hala­tion burns to 100 per­cent of her lungs, hos­pi­tal vice pres­i­dent Chung Kuo-ping said.

Her younger brother, who also sus­tained burns to 90 per­cent of his body, was be­ing treated at the Xizhi branch of Cathay Gen­eral Hos­pi­tal.

Lee and her brother were in­jured when col­ored corn­starch pow­der­ex­ploded and burst into flames at the Color Play Asia party held atFor­mosa Fun Coast Wa­ter Park in New Taipei’s Bali Dis­trict late Satur­day.

Most of those in­jured were in their teens or twen­ties, and more than 200 of them were still in in­ten­sive care wards as of Mon­day af­ter­noon with se­vere burns.

Lee’s mother said that be­fore her daugh­ter passed away, she was very wor­ried about her brother, who had re­cently grad­u­ated from ele­men­tary school, and blamed her­self for tak­ing him to the party.

The griev­ing mother hoped her son could be trans­ferred to the burn cen­ter at Na­tional Tai­wan Univer­sity Hos­pi­tal, but med­i­cal author­i­ties were work­ing on trans­fer­ring him to Taipei Vet­er­ans Gen­eral Hos­pi­tal.

A man named Yao Cheng-yu who was also hurt in the ac­ci­dent said he will do­nate his in­sur­ance com­pen­sa­tion to the Lee fam­ily.

“My in­juries are not se­vere,” com­pared with oth­ers who were in­jured, Yao said. He suf­fered sec­ond de­gree burns on the legs and the right side of his but­tocks.

‘Don’t tell my fam­ily I’m hurt,’ Pleads Vic­tim from Malaysia

A 19-year-old man from Malaysia who suf­fered se­ri­ous burns to his face and body in a fire at a north­ern Tai­wan wa­ter park on Satur­day night ap­peared more con­cerned for his fam­ily than him­self shortly af­ter the ac­ci­dent oc­curred.

“I beg you not to tell my fam­ily that I am hurt,” pleaded Huang Liang jie shortly af­ter be­ing sent to Cathay Gen­eral Hos­pi­tal in Xizhi for treat­ment, ac­cord­ing to a story in the China Times.

“Please don’t tell my fam­ily I’m in the hos­pi­tal. My par­ents will get wor­ried, and plane tick­ets are ex­pen­sive,” Huang said, when learn­ing that New Taipei author­i­ties were go­ing to in­form his fam­ily in Malaysia that he was in­jured.

Of the 15 vic­tims sent to the hos­pi­tal, Huang was the only one who did not have any fam­ily mem­bers tak­ing care of him, and that was how he wanted things to stay.

“I don’t want them to know that I have be­come this way. I came to Tai­wan to study,” said the over­seas Chi­nese stu­dent who at­tends Va­nung Univer­sity in Taoyuan, ac­cord­ing to the re­port.

Lo­cal media re­ported, how­ever, that Huang’s pleas were ig­nored and Malaysian of­fi­cials sta­tioned in Tai­wan no­ti­fied his par­ents of his sit­u­a­tion. They were ex­pected to fly to Taipei on Tues­day to be with their son.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Taiwan

© PressReader. All rights reserved.