Egypt court postpones Al-Jazeera verdict to Aug. 29
An Egyptian court on Sunday again postponed announcing a verdict in the retrial of three Al- Jazeera English journalists, extending the long-running trial criticized worldwide by press freedom advocates and human rights activists.
The case against Canadian national Mohammed Fahmy, Australian journalist Peter Greste and Egyptian producer Baher Mohammed embroiled their journalism into the wider conflict between Egypt and Qatar following the 2013 military ouster of Islamist President Mohammed Morsi.
Judge Hassan Farid, who oversaw the case against the three, did not attend Sunday’s hearing. Another judge, Essam Aboul Ella, announced the case had been postponed.
“It’s more suffering for us, more waiting,” Mohammed said after the postponement. “The ordeal continues and I have no idea what’s going on.”
Fahmy added: “It’s crippling our lives.”
Al- Jazeera English’s acting managing director, Giles Trendle, also denounced the delay in an interview with the network.
“We’ve found that the court ... has been almost Kafka-esque in some of the ludicrous, groundless charges, in some of the strange decisions — even in the delays that you’re seeing,” Trendle said.
Canadian Al-Jazeera English journalist Mohammed Fahmy, center, and his fiance Marwa Omara, left, arrive at Tora prison, in Cairo, Egypt, Sunday, Aug. 2.