Fa­ther of ar­son at­tack Pales­tinian tod­dler dies


The fa­ther of a Pales­tinian tod­dler killed last week when their home was fire­bombed by Jewish ex­trem­ists died Satur­day of his in­juries from the at­tack, which trig­gered Pales­tinian protests and an in­ter­na­tional out­cry.

The ar­son in the vil­lage of Duma in the oc­cu­pied West Bank drew con­dem­na­tion of Is­rael’s fail­ure to curb vi­o­lence by hard-line Jewish set­tlers and prompted the gov­ern­ment to or­der a crack­down on ex­trem­ism.

Saad Dawab­sha suc­cumbed in hos­pi­tal in the south­ern Is­raeli city of Beer­sheba where he was be­ing treated for third-de­gree burns, Pales­tinian of­fi­cial Ghas­san Dagh­las said.

“Saad Dawab­sha died and plans are un­der­way for his fu­neral,” Dagh­las said.

The Dawab­sha fam­ily con­firmed his death.

Dawab­sha’s wife Ri­ham Dawab­sha and four-year-old son Ahmed are still fight­ing for their lives in hos­pi­tal af­ter the ar­son at­tack which killed 18-month-old Ali.

Is­raeli media re­ported that there had been signs of im­prove­ment in Ahmed’s con­di­tion, although his life re­mains in dan­ger.

They said that doc­tors at the Tel Hashomer hos­pi­tal near Tel Aviv on Fri­day re­moved the res­pi­ra­tor to which he had been at­tached for the pre­vi­ous week and that he opened his eyes and rec­og­nized those around him.

Nei­ther Is­raeli hos­pi­tal could im­me­di­ately be reached for com­ment on the Jewish sab­bath.

A that

Post-mortem Planned

Pales­tinian of­fi­cial told AFP be­fore the fu­neral in the Dawab­shas’ home vil­lage a post­mortem would be held to pro­vide ev­i­dence for a com­plaint to the In­ter­na­tional Crim­i­nal Court (ICC) in The Hague.

The Pales­tini­ans on Mon­day sub­mit­ted a re­quest to the ICC to probe the fire­bomb­ing and “set­tler ter­ror­ism.”

At a meet­ing with Pales­tinian pres­i­dent Mah­mud Ab­bas on Wed­nes­day, Arab for­eign min­is­ters agreed to call on the United Na­tions to pro­tect the Pales­tini­ans from “ter- ror­ist crimes” by Jewish set­tlers.

The fam­ily’s small brick and ce­ment home in Duma was gut­ted by fire early on July 31, and a Jewish Star of David spray-painted on a wall along with the words “re­venge” and “long live the Mes­siah.”

Prime Min­is­ter Ben­jamin Ne­tanyahu con­demned the at­tack as “ter­ror­ism in ev­ery re­spect,” and vowed to spare no ef­fort in bring­ing the per­pe­tra­tors to jus­tice.

He or­dered a crack­down on Jewish ex­trem­ism that has seen three sus­pects de­tained.

Is­rael this week used a con­tro­ver­sial form of de­ten­tion with­out trial nor­mally in­voked for Pales­tini­ans against one al­leged Jewish ex­trem­ist, fol­low­ing the out­cry over the at­tack.

The do­mes­tic in­tel­li­gence ser­vice named him as Meir Et­tinger, a grand­son of Meir Ka­hane, a rabbi who founded the racist anti-Arab move­ment Kach and was as­sas­si­nated in 1990 in New York.

He was ar­rested in Safed in north­ern Is­rael “be­cause of his ac­tiv­i­ties in a Jewish ex­trem­ist or­ga­ni­za­tion,” a Shin Bet spokesman told AFP.

Po­lice said Et­tinger, who is aged around 20, was sus­pected of “na­tion­al­ist crimes” but did not ac­cuse him of di­rect in­volve­ment in the fire­bomb­ing.


In this Aug. 1 file photo, a Pales­tinian demon­stra­tor holds up a photo of a one-anda-half-year-old boy, Ali Dawab­sheh, dur­ing clashes at the en­trance to Duma vil­lage near the West Bank city of Nablus.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Taiwan

© PressReader. All rights reserved.