No Dou­ble Tenth Day fire­work show this year: speaker

The China Post - - LOCAL -

There will be no fire­work show dur­ing the Dou­ble Tenth Day cel­e­bra­tion this year out of safety con­cerns, Leg­isla­tive Yuan Speaker Wang Jin-pyng said Fri­day.

Wang, who also serves as chair­man of the Dou­ble Tenth Day Cel­e­bra­tion Or­ga­niz­ing Com­mit­tee, said that Kaoh­si­ung, the city to host this year’s fire­work cel­e­bra­tions, re­ported to him sev­eral weeks ago that it did not want to stage the show, to which he agreed in prin­ci­ple.

He said that the Kaoh­si­ung city gov­ern­ment had of­fered three pos­si­ble lo­ca­tions for stag­ing the show, but af­ter care­ful as­sess­ment, it ex­pressed mis­giv­ings about the safety of the three lo­ca­tions and added that it lacks the funds to stage the event.

The is­sue of funds can be re­solved, but as the city gov­ern­ment has con­cerns about safety, it is only nat­u­ral to make safety the pri­or­ity con­cern, Wang said. On whether to change the host city, Wang said that in the wake of the col­ored pow­der ex­plo­sion at a wa­ter park in New Taipei in late June, “I think it is bet- ter not to stage the show this year, as the public still is not psy­cho­log­i­cally com­fort­able” with the idea.

The dust ex­plo­sion has claimed 11 lives so far. Ac­cord­ing to the Min­istry of Health and Wel­fare’s latest re­port re­leased Aug. 10, 269 of the nearly 500 vic­tims of the in­ci­dent re­mained hos­pi­tal­ized, 117 of whom were in in­ten­sive care units.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Taiwan

© PressReader. All rights reserved.