16 Turkish workers kidnapped in Iraq for a month are released
Sixteen Turkish workers kidnapped from a construction site in Baghdad and held for nearly a month were released on Wednesday, Turkey’s prime minister and Iraqi officials said.
Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu said through his Twitter account that the workers were handed over to the Turkish ambassador in Iraq and that they were all in good health. He did not provide information on the circumstances of his release.
In Baghdad, the spokesman for the city’s military command, Brig. Gen. Saad Maan Ibrahim confirmed the release and said the Turkish workers were now inside the Turkish Embassy.
The men, employed by Turkish construction company Nurol Insaat, were part of a group of 18 Turkish workers snatched in Baghdad’s Shiite-dominated Sadr City on Sept. 2. After their abduction, a video from a previously unknown militant group showed the hostages and demanded Tur- key halt the flow of militants into Iraq, stop the passage of oil from Iraq’s northern Kurdish region via Turkish territory and lift what was described as a “siege” on Syrian cities.
The brazen abduction laid bare serious security gaps in the heavily guarded Baghdad. Then, two of the kidnapped workers were released later in September in the southern city of Basra, a predominantly Shiite area of Iraq.
Davutoglu thanked “Iraqi friends” who had worked toward the men’s release, without elaborating. “Preparations are underway to ensure their return home as soon as possible,” he said.
Ibrahim told The Associated Press that the 16 workers were found Wednesday in the town of Musayyib, about 60 kilometers south of Baghdad.
An Iraqi national was kidnapped along with the Turks. Gunmen stormed the site on Sept. 2 as the workers were sleeping in caravans, breaking down doors and disarming the guards before taking the workers away.