Two killed out­side Aus­tralian state po­lice HQ


A civil­ian po­lice em­ployee Fri­day was killed in a dou­ble shoot­ing out­side law en­force­ment head­quar­ters in Syd­ney, but the at­tack did not ap­pear to be linked to ter­ror­ism, Aus­tralian author­i­ties said Fri­day.

The worker, who has not been iden­ti­fied, was leav­ing the build­ing in Par­ra­matta, western Syd­ney, around 4.30pm (0630 GMT) when he was shot once by a gun­man at close range, po­lice com­mis­sioner An­drew Sci­p­i­one said.

The gun­man — whose iden­tity has also been with­held — re­mained on the street and later dis­charged more shots at an of­fi­cer guard­ing the head­quar­ters be­fore be­ing killed in an ex­change of gun­fire with other po­lice­men.

“An em­ployee of the NSW (New South Wales state) po­lice force has been cal­lously mur­dered here to­day,” Sci­p­i­one told re­porters near the crime scene.

“This is a very sober­ing time for us and I have viewed a num­ber of pieces of footage, I can tell you that this was a bru­tal... ter­ri­ble crime.”

Sci­p­i­one said the em­ployee was “de­lib­er­ately tar­geted” by the gun­man — who was wear­ing a “long pair of long trousers and a flow­ing top” and ap­peared to be op­er­at­ing alone — although he did not give fur­ther de­tails.

He said it was also pos­si­ble the gun­man re­mained on the street af­ter shoot­ing the em­ployee as he wanted to “com­mit sui­cide by cop”.

The shoot­ing came as Aus­tralians started to mark the so-called grand fi­nal long week­end, with thou­sands ex­pected to pack public venues as top teams from the Na­tional Rugby League and Aus­tralian Football League square off in the sea­son’s last matches.

“I can as­sure you that we shouldn’t be let­ting an event like this dis­turb what we do as a na- tion,” Sci­p­i­one said, but added that po­lice were as­sess­ing whether height­ened se­cu­rity was needed in some Syd­ney spots over the long week­end.

The com­mis­sioner said although there was as yet no link to ter­ror­ism, homi­cide in­ves­ti­ga­tors as­sisted by the counter-ter­ror­ism unit were “keep­ing an open mind” about why the at­tack took place.

“At this stage we’ve got noth­ing to link this event to any ter­ror­istre­lated ac­tiv­ity but we could not say that that wasn’t the case.

“I want to en­sure that we don’t jump to con­clu­sions.”

Aus­tralia has stepped up its ef­forts in coun­ter­ing ter­ror­ism, lift­ing its terror threat alert to high in Septem­ber last year, con­duct­ing sev­eral raids and en­act­ing nu­mer­ous na­tional se­cu­rity laws.

In De­cem­ber 2014, Ira­ni­an­born self-styled cleric Man Haron Mo­nis and two hostages were killed fol­low­ing a 17-hour siege at a cen­tral Syd­ney cafe.


Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Taiwan

© PressReader. All rights reserved.