Burk­ina gen­eral, min­is­ter charged over failed coup

The China Post - - INTERNATIONAL -

The gen­eral be­hind Burk­ina Faso’s failed coup was charged, to­gether with a for­mer top aide to ousted pres­i­dent Blaise Com­paore, with “mur­der” and “at­tack­ing state se­cu­rity” on Tues­day, ju­di­cial sources said.

Gen. Gil­bert Dien­dere and Djib­rill Bas­sole, a for­mer for­eign min­is­ter un­der Com­paore, were also charged with “col­lu­sion with for­eign forces to desta­bi­lize in­ter­nal se­cu­rity,” “caus­ing in­ten­tional in­jury” and “in­ten­tional de­struc­tion of prop­erty” over the short­lived Sept. 17 putsch, the sources said.

The pair were re­manded in cus­tody.

Dien­dere gave him­self up last week af­ter refuge at the res­i­dence of the Vat­i­can’s am­bas­sador to the west African coun­try just be­fore an army raid on the bar­racks of his elite, Com­paore-loyal Pres­i­den­tial Se­cu­rity Reg­i­ment.

He had said he was will­ing to face jus­tice.

Bas­sole, by con­trast, de­nied any in­volve­ment in the coup, his Paris­based lawyer Alexan­dre Va­raut said last week.

Else­where Leonce Kone, from Com­paore’s Congress for Democ­racy and Progress (CDP) party, and Her­mann Yameogo from the Na­tional Union for Democ­racy and De­vel­op­ment, were taken into cus­tody on Mon­day night, po­lice said.

The two politi­cians are the first civil­ians to be ar­rested in con­nec­tion with the coup.

Bas­sole was among the for­mer mem­bers of Com­paore’s regime who were barred from run­ning in up­com­ing pres­i­den­tial and par­lia­men­tary elec­tions on the grounds they had backed the for­mer strong­man’s bid to ex­tend his 27-year grip on power.

One of the de­mands of the putschists was that the elec­tions be “in­clu­sive,” mean­ing that Com­paore loy­al­ists like Bas­sole, who had an­nounced a bid for pres­i­dent, be al­lowed to run for of­fice.

Af­ter six days the coup lead­ers handed back power to the in­terim gov­ern­ment that has been run­ning Burk­ina Faso since Com­paore’s ouster in a pop­u­lar upris­ing in Oc­to­ber 2014.

Ten peo­ple were killed in the Septem­ber dis­tur­bances, ac­cord­ing to the in­terim gov­ern­ment.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Taiwan

© PressReader. All rights reserved.