KNOW THESE FACTS
• Blood makes up 7-8% of the body’s weight.
• Your heart beats about 100,000 times in one day and about 35 million times in one year
• Someone has a heart attack every 25 seconds and dies of one every minute.
• Jumping rope, brisk walking, bike riding and swimming are all aerobic exercises that are good for your heart
• Smoking is the most preventable cause of heart disease.
• Smoking increases the tendency of the blood to clot, which can result in a stroke
• Most heart attacks occur between the hours of 8 and 9 AM.
• There are 4,000 dangerous substances in tobacco that are bad for your heart, arteries, veins and lungs.
• Laughter increases your blood flow, which is good for your heart and may reduce stress
• The heart has four parts inside. These parts are like the rooms in a house. The blood moves from one room to the next.
• It takes less than 60 seconds to pump blood to every cell in your body.
• In the average lifetime, the heart beats 2.5 billion times.
• A kid’s heart is about the same size as his or her fist, or approximately the size of a pear.
• The heart of a blue whale is as big as a car.
• Capillaries are tiny blood vessels as thin as or thinner than the hairs on your head.