Second man held in connection with London train attack
LONDON: British police said yesterday they had made a second arrest in connection with the bombing of a London Underground train, as their probe into the terror attack widened.
The 21-year-old man, who has not been named, was arrested late on Saturday in Hounslow, on the western rim of the capital, a statement said.
Officers had earlier arrested an 18-yearold man over Friday’s attack at Parsons Green station, which injured 30 people, and said they were hunting for more suspects.
The bomb detonated in a packed train carriage on Friday morning with a large explosion followed by what an eyewitness described as a “fireball”.
It was Britain’s fifth terror attack in six months — a series that has claimed 35 lives.
The Islamic State jihadist group claimed responsibility.
The first arrest on Saturday took place at the Dover ferry terminal — a main link to Europe. A “number of items” were recovered during the operation and the teenager is now in custody in London, officers said.
Police had earlier raided a home in Sunbury, a town west of London. Local residents quoted in British media said the owners of the house were elderly foster parents.
Britain’s terror threat was raised on Friday to “critical”, indicating that another attack is feared, and soldiers have been deployed to guard key points to free up police for the investigation.
The critical warning was last used after a deadly suicide attack at Manchester Arena, also claimed by IS, in May.
Home Secretary Amber Rudd said on Saturday that police had made “very good progress” in their enquiries, while disputing claims by US President Donald Trump that a “loser terrorist” behind the attack was known to Scotland Yard.
“It’s much too early to say that,” Ms Rudd said in a televised interview.
Mr Trump’s claims had already garnered a terse rebuke from Prime Minister Theresa May, who said: “I never think it’s helpful for anybody to speculate on what is an ongoing investigation.”