Au­topsy finds sol­dier ‘died from ill­ness, not beat­ing’


NAKHON SI THAMMARAT: A post-mortem ex­am­i­na­tion has found that a re­cently con­scripted sol­dier died of a chronic health con­di­tion, not the re­sult of a phys­i­cal as­sault as claimed by his mother, a se­nior mil­i­tary spokesman said yes­ter­day.

In­ter­nal Se­cu­rity Op­er­a­tions Com­mand (Isoc) Re­gion 4 spokesman, Col Pramot Phrom-in, said the re­sults of the au­topsy on Pvt Adisak Noiphithak, 21, a con­script at Thep Sa­tri Si Sun­thon mil­i­tary camp, In­fantry Di­vi­sion 5, in Nakhon Si Thammarat, clearly showed he died of “peri­toni­tis” and “pep­tic ul­cer per­fo­ra­tion”.

The au­topsy was car­ried out by Dr Chal­ida Chumyuang at Songk­lana­garind Hos­pi­tal, which is part of Prince of Songkhla Univer­sity.

Ac­cord­ing to the pathol­o­gist’s re­port the two health con­di­tions re­sulted in se­vere and lethal in­fec­tions in the sol­dier’s ab­dom­i­nal cav­ity.

Dr Chal­ida also re­ported that no ex­ter­nal in­juries nor bone frac­tures were found, ac­cord­ing to Col Pramot.

Blue and pur­ple marks found on Adisak’s body were be­lieved to have been caused by the in­fec­tion, which had caused dis­coloura­tion of the skin, Col Pramot added.

The doc­tor in her re­port said a fur­ther ex­am­i­na­tion would be car­ried out to con­firm what caused these marks, if the dead sol­dier’s fam­ily re­quested it.

Adisak’s mother, Tuean­chai Khongsanit, 52, has since said that she has ac­cepted the find­ings.

Col Warit Chor­bchupol, com­man­der of the 15th Field Ar­tillery Bat­tal­ion, said Pvt Adisak had com­plained of a stom­ach ache and was ex­cused from du­ties three days be­fore be­ing pro­nounced dead on Satur­day at the mil­i­tary camp’s hos­pi­tal.

He was ad­mit­ted to the hos­pi­tal af­ter his stom­ach pains be­came worse and he started vom­it­ing.

Soon af­ter her son’s death Ms Tuean­chai lodged a com­plaint with po­lice and in a post on a pop­u­lar Face­book page said she sus­pected her son died af­ter suf­fer­ing a beat­ing.

Cpl Pramote said the army has ex­pressed its con­do­lences to the fam­ily of the dead sol­dier and would en­sure they re­ceived ap­pro­pri­ate wel­fare as­sis­tance, in­clud­ing help pay for the fu­neral.

Big Krian, who has a pop­u­lar Face­book page, pub­lished a story about Pvt Adisak not long af­ter his death on Satur­day.

The Face­book story dealt mainly with Ms Tuean­chai’s con­cerns and doubts about her son’s death.

She said at the time she was not con­vinced by the mil­i­tary hos­pi­tal’s ex­pla­na­tion that her son had died from sud­den heart fail­ure.

She also said she saw blue and pur­ple marks all over his body, which she sus­pected were the re­sult of him hav­ing been phys­i­cally as­saulted.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Thailand

© PressReader. All rights reserved.