Developing Turkish civil society
The endeavors to boost the development of Turkish civil society and increase democratic involvement -- or, in other words, to increase the involvement of non-governmental organizations -- in institutional decision-making processes. STGM differs from other NGOs in the sense that it works to support and improve the work of other NGOs and thus develop Turkish civil society as a whole
(Civil Society Development Center, STGM) is a politically independent organization that aims to support and assist non-governmental organizations in Turkey. The organization’s vision is a strong and democratic Turkish civil society; it aims to enhance participation and democracy within civil society, to strengthen organization capabilities and autonomy and to allow civil society to have a voice in political processes through advocacy, campaigns, research, education and lobbying work within its priority areas. The mission of STGM is to: • Help raise productivity by working on information, economic potential and courage deficiencies in NGOs.
• Build up a civil society map and database, a communications network, promote efforts to create national NGO platforms and provide opportunities that will revitalize the sharing of all kinds of information and experience between NGOs.
• Announce the works of and carry out the lobbying activities of NGOs through the use of mass media, thereby cementing civil initiatives by incentivizing social entrepreneurship and raising social awareness.
• Include NGOs in decision-making processes and develop their dialogue with the public, ensuring institutional development and sustainability. In addition, STGM allows them to attain experience and transfer these experiences by establishing international cooperation, forming connections, sustaining these connections and strengthening NGOs’ institutional infrastructure through building their communication and human resources and organizational, administrative, financial and legal infrastructures.
• Collaborate with international institutions with similar objectives and join networks that will serve to develop STGM’s functions.
• Develop methods so that the means of support for NGOs are productive, fair and policy-appropriate.
STGM supports the work of NGOs active in the fields of gender equality, children’s rights, human rights, youth, environment, disability and cultural rights and culture and the arts. Aside from the objectives mentioned above, the organization plans to provide digital empowerment programs to allow NGOs to use advocacy and organization opportunities that the digital world has opened for civil society more effectively.
Through its many publications, the center