UAE petrol prices set to rise in April
Officials expect more from dig site
A 4,000-year-old civilisation is buried under the UAE, officials have said after finding thousands of ancient daggers, swords, jewellery and other artefacts during an excavation.
A solid- gold ring was among the finds unearthed at the Sarouq Al Hadeed at Al Marmaum in the Dubai desert, which has inspired the Expo 2020’s new logo design.
Evidence of the UAE’s ancestors exists in the area extending from Baynounah in Abu Dhabi to Sarouq Al Hadeed in Dubai and from Maliha Valley in Sharjah to the mountains of Ras Al Khaimah and Fujairah.
Kerrie Grant, an archeologist with the Sarouq Al Hadeed Archeological Research Project, said in a video shared by the Expo 2020 team: “The amount of stuff they [ancient tribes of Arabia] left behind is quite extraordinary.
“We found copper cakes. They would’ve been very expensive back then, and to leave it all behind - why would you do that? And these are the questions we are trying to answer.”
Hussain Nasser Lootah, Director General of Dubai Municipality, which is leading the excavations, said that just 5 per cent of the total area has been explored so far, with many more artefacts expected to be found in the coming years.
He said: “The artefacts are 4,000 years old. We have found 10,000 daggers, jewellery and other artefacts.
“We have excavated just five per cent of the site so imagine what we will find in the remaining 95 per cent.
“We have gathered arrows, jars, pieces of gold and other types of materials. This is a vast amount of treasure and is a big part of the ancient civilisation of the UAE.
“The rest is still buried under the sand dunes and we plan to carry out the excavations sometime in the future.”
Many of the findings had snakes inscribed upon them.
“Maybe they were worshipping snakes or they thought snakes were something that could protect them,” said Rashad Bukhashan, an engineer with Dubai Municipality.
“You can find the snakes on pottery, on gold, on bronze and made from iron.”
We have excavated 5 per cent of the site, so imagine what we will find in the remaining 95 per cent
– Municipality chief Hussain Nasser Al Lootah
INSPECTION: HH Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum with the artefacts