Opposing factions still at the table, says UN envoy
By Shoshana Kedem Peace talks between the Yemeni government and Houthi delegations resumed in Kuwait yesterday, UN Special Envoy to Yemen Ismail Ould Cheikh Ahmed said.
The statement came amid reports that direct talks had been suspended due to disagreements on key issues, Kuwait News Agency reported.
During a conference on Saturday, the UN envoy said that despite positive signs of a political understanding between the opposing factions, there were still press several obstacles to peace, Al Arabiya reported. The delegations will continue to muddle through an agenda of items, including the cessation of coalition air strikes, the withdrawal of armed groups, a handover of heavy weaponry, the release of prisoners and resumption of a political transition. The UN-backed talks, which started on April 21, have been overshadowed by a series of violations from both sides to a truce struck on April 10.The talks aim to bring an end to fighting which the UN says has killed more than 6,400 people and displaced 2.8 million since March last year.
UNICEF Yemen also said in a tweet on Saturday that nearly 380,000 children in Yemen could not resume school this year due to conflict.
The UAE is part of a Saudi-led coalition supporting the forces of Yemeni President Abdu-Rabbu Mansour Hadi against Houthi-led rebels in Yemen.
The Shia Houthi - allied with former Yemeni president Ali Abdullah Saleh - ousted the government from Sana’a last year, sparking the regional intervention.
Meanwhile, France’s foreign affairs ministry said that a woman working for the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) who was abducted last December in Yemen is a FrenchTunisian. The statement said France was working closely with the ICRC to secure the release of the aid worker, identified as Nourane Houas.
PEACEKEEPER: UN envoy Ismail Ould Cheikh Ahmed