West Ham to ban fans who attacked United bus
West Ham have promised to ban for life any fans found to have been involved in ugly scenes that marred their last-ever match at Upton Park on Tuesday night.
On the pitch, the Hammers signed off in style as Winston Reid’s header completed a come-frombehind 3-2 win over Manchester United, but kick-off had been delayed for 45 minutes after United’s coach came under attack on its approach to the stadium.
Bottles were also thrown at United goalkeeper David de Gea during the match, while another fan invaded the pitch to confront the Spaniard.
In a statement, West Ham said: “It was an extraordinary night full of extraordinary moments in front of extraordinary fans - 99 per cent of whom behaved impeccably and were a credit to the club.
“We have already had thousands of tweets and emails from fans to say how proud they were to be a part of such a special evening in West Ham’s history.
“However, we are aware that there were some supporters outside the Boleyn Ground who didn’t act in an appropriate way when the Manchester United team bus was damaged. That was not acceptable and we will work with the police to identify those responsible and ban them for life.”
The English FA also said it would launch its own investigation.
“The FA strongly condemns the unsavoury incidents involving both the Manchester United team coach and objects thrown from a section of the home support during the game,” said the FA. “We will work closely with both clubs and the Met Police.”