Long wait for pas­sen­gers

Mas­sive de­lays fol­low­ing EK in­ci­dent

7 Days in Dubai - - NEWS - By Ali Al Shouk and Ahmed Al Saidy @7DAYSUAE news@7days.ae

Thou­sands of pas­sen­gers en­dured de­lays of up to five hours af­ter Dubai In­ter­na­tional Air­port was closed fol­low­ing yes­ter­day’s in­ci­dent in­volv­ing an Emi­rates Air­line air­craft.

Flight EK521, trav­el­ling from Tri­van­drum In­ter­na­tional Air­port in In­dia, was forced into an emer­gency land­ing at 12.45pm.

Dozens of flights were af­fected and some in­com­ing flights were di­verted to Al Mak­toum and Sharjah air­ports, leav­ing many rel­a­tives and friends seek­ing an­swers in the ar­rivals halls.

At the T3 de­par­tures hall, the sit­u­a­tion was worse. Hun­dreds of pas­sen­gers were told their flights were de­layed. Fam­i­lies oc­cu­pied the air­port seats, floor and cof­fee shops. Some were even told to go home if they lived close by and to stay in touch with the air­port for fur­ther up­dates.

Mo­hammed Magdy, 36, from Egypt, was left dis­ap­pointed when he was asked to take a seat since his flight to Cairo had been de­layed for five hours.

He said: “I live in Sharjah, it is im­pos­si­ble for me to go back home, I have been here for two hours and now I have to wait for five more hours with my wife and lit­tle daugh­ter.”

Cory Th­waites was plan­ning to travel with his two chil­dren to Nairobi in Kenya when he was asked to go home and wait.

“I came to catch my plane at 4pm to Nairobi, when we were told to re­turn back at 8pm,” said the 48-year-old Bri­ton, who lives in Dubai. “Emi­rates asked us to re­turn home or wait in the air­port be­cause of the de­lay on the run­way.”

Syr­ian Saeed Na­jah, 33, was also in­structed to re­turn back to the ter­mi­nal at 6pm af­ter his flight to Jor­dan was de­layed.

“I was go­ing to Jor­dan at 3pm to meet my fam­ily and I was told to come back,” he said. “It’s frus­trat­ing. I was here on a visit visa try­ing to find a job and my visa fin­ished and I de­cided to leave. I will wait in the air­port now.” Na­jah sat on the floor and called his mother to tell her he was fine, but will ar­rive back in Jor­dan late. “It’s just bad luck,” he added. “I was re­turn­ing empty handed and now this de­lay.”

By 6.30pm de­par­tures had re­sumed.

DE­LAYS: Ev­ery sin­gle flight on this board was af­fected

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UAE

© PressReader. All rights reserved.