‘ We’ve lost ev­ery­thing’

Fire guts bach­e­lors’ apart­ment

7 Days in Dubai - - FRONT PAGE - By Shoshana Ke­dem @B_shosh

A group of friends have de­scribed how they re­turned home to find flames pour­ing from their bal­cony win­dow as a fire tore through their shared apart­ment.

The Egyp­tian ex­pats said they have been “left with noth­ing” after the blaze at the Bur Dubai du­plex apart­ment.

Sev­eral of the eight men lost their pass­ports and oth­ers lost fam­ily photos, cher­ished possessions and lap­tops.

Waleed Haidy, 37, who works in sales, said he had just left the flat on Mon­day about 3pm and was in a nearby mall when he got a call from a friend telling him to rush home.

He said: “I came run­ning from Bur­ju­man and could see smoke and flames com­ing from the bal­cony.”

Haidy added: “They wouldn’t let any­one en­ter and you couldn’t get close be­cause ev­ery­one was packed out­side the build­ing.” Ahmad Mah­moud, 27, said his pass­port, watches and photos were all in­cin­er­ated in the blaze. He said: “We lost ev­ery­thing, I don’t care that I lost my watches, my bracelets and ev­ery­thing, but the his­tory of my trav­els, my mem­o­ries. When you lose ev­ery­thing you lose your his­tory, you lose your past. All my pic­tures, lap­tops, phones, doc­u­ments, cer­tifi­cates. It hurts you know?" Ahmed Mohammed, 27, who works for an au­dit­ing firm, said he spent the night in a nearby ho­tel and is now look­ing for an­other place to live. He said: “I came back to the apart­ment this morn­ing after two hours sleep and ev­ery­thing was de­stroyed. My two friends both lost their pass­ports. “We have to move ev­ery­thing now be­cause no one can stay. There’s de­bris and ashes ev­ery­where, it’s a com­plete mess. Ev­ery­thing is de­stroyed and no one can go up. It was a very hard day, I have been in the street since 7am.” When 7DAYS vis­ited the apart­ment, heat was still ra­di­at­ing from the front door, while in­side wa­ter streamed from the ceil­ing. Wires and elec­tric­ity boxes hung down. Al­to­gether about 300 res­i­dents spent the night in ho­tels or with friends as the fire caused an elec­tric­ity out­age. They were re­turn­ing home yes­ter­day. Civil De­fence are in­ves­ti­gat­ing the cause and said one per­son was treated for smoke in­hala­tion.

CHARRED: In­side the flat yes­ter­day after the fire had been ex­tin­guished

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UAE

© PressReader. All rights reserved.