Deadly chemicals still inuse
Pest firms caught using banned substance in homes despite deaths
Pest control firms are still spraying UAE homes with banned chemicals that have been responsible for a number of deaths in recent years.
This week, authorities in Sharjah issued a warning to people against using unlicensed pest control firms after dozens were caught, and fined, for using prohibited pesticides in homes.
Sharjah Municipality said it has fined 45 pest control firms in 2016 during inspections.
7DAYS has subsequently discovered that aluminium phosphide, a highly toxic substance, which is banned for domestic use, is still being widely used for pest control in apartments and villas.
Jaffar Ali Jaffar, Head of Environment Services at Sharjah Municipality, said: “Strict measures have been initiated over the recent years after several residents expressed concern over the safety of chemicals used by firms that offer pest control services.
“Many people have died in the past number of years and others were hospitalised after inhaling these poisonous chemicals.”
Last year, a three-week-old boy died after inhaling aluminium phosphide that had seeped into the family apartment through the air vents from a neighbouring flat.
In August 2014, a three-year-old Filipino girl died after suffering from pesticide poisoning. In another incident in the same month, a Filipino died and five others were hospitalised after inhaling the highly toxic substance, which leaked into their apartment in Dubai from a neighbouring flat. After spraying aluminium phosphide in his apartment, the tenant locked the property and went on holiday. Aluminium phosphide is widely available on the black market. The Ministry of Environment and Water last year banned the distribution of any pesticide without proper registration.