AWARDS AND ACHIEVEMENTS
Shailesh Dash has been recognised throughout his career for his contribution to the world of finance
• Recognised among the top 100 influential people in Dubai – 2016 / 2017 by Arabian Business Magazine
• Best Strategic Vision Award- Banker Middle East Industry Awards 2017
• Recognised among the top 100 Indian Leaders in the Arab World – 2016 / 2017 by Forbes Magazine
• Best CEO for Ethical Investments – 2016 from World Finance
• Global Visionary CEO of the Year – 2014 from The Leaders Magazine International Malaysia and The Federation of GCC Chambers
What qualities does a leader need?
I like what Steve Jobs said, that you have to be hungry. You see a lot of successful parents who have created businesses; the second generation who has everything provided for them aren’t as hungry. The hunger – with the right ethics and values –makes the difference. The hunger is critical.
How do you ensure productivity?
That is a question that has a different answer depending on the period in history. We are moving from a people-centric to a technology-centric business environment. Today, AI will be a factor in business and human productivity. Every industry is different. People are being replaced by machines and it saves money, but is it human? What happens to those people who have been replaced? They need to be retrained. If productivity doesn’t improve as a result of technology, then society isn’t improving.
What are your views on CSR?
People think CSR is just about donations. It should be about being able to build businesses and ideas, while allowing people to work, be skilled enough to support their families and have a comfortable life, while protecting the environment. All of us have a shared responsibility as human beings. We donate as a business, but I personally believe we can do a lot more. It shouldn’t be just down to leaders, but to everyone, as we can make a difference as individuals. Not everything can be achieved just by giving money and donations. I personally feel I could be doing more, donating of my time, not just money.