Wedding COUNT DOWN
AFTER THE ENGAGEMENT
● Choose a wedding date.
● Calculate your budget and draw up a spreadsheet.
● Decide on the style and theme of the wedding you want.
● Speak to your religious head or registry office to confirm any necessary details.
● Decide on and book the wedding and reception venues and note the guest capacity.
● Make a preliminary guest-list, including your bridesmaids, best man and full wedding party.
● Create and post Save The Date cards to notify guests of the engagement and wedding.
● Discuss menu options, look at estimates for food and drink, then confirm a caterer.
● Start looking for your dress.
● Book your photographer and videographer.
● Take out wedding insurance if it is required.
● Start a health/beauty regime.
THREE MONTHS BEFORE
● Organise a second meeting with your religious head and venue organiser to confirm timings and other details.
● Finalise wedding cake options and place an order.
● Book transport to and from the ceremony and reception.
● Discuss flower arrangements with a florist, keeping in mind what will be in season.
● Book a musician, band or DJ for the reception.
● Decide on the honeymoon destination, book a hotel, transport and check passports.
● Pick your wedding stationery and order of services and place your order.
● Choose your wedding bands and order them.
● Decide on your wedding dress, groom’s suit and the wedding party's attire for fittings.
● Confirm wedding guest list.
TWO MONTHS BEFORE
● Confirm all of your prior bookings.
● Give your caterer the final head count noting any special dietary requirements.
● Buy all of your accessories to match your dress including jewellery and shoes.
● Speak to a hair and make-up artist and discuss potential looks.
● Book another dress fitting appointment.
● If you are getting married in a hotel make sure you have a room booked for the day and/or night of the wedding for getting ready.
● Decide if you are having centrepieces, discuss with florist and order them.
● Notify your bank and any other official government bodies that require your change of name status.
ONE MONTH BEFORE
Book your hair and make-up artist for a trial and arrange timings for your wedding day. Collect your wedding bands. Arrange for a trusted friend or family member to bring the cake knife, toasting glasses, ring bearer pillow and flower girl baskets. Draw up a seating plan. Finalise the outfits for the groom, bridesmaids, best man and bridal party.
Finalise any last details such as gifts for the guests and the wedding party.
Confirm running order of the ceremony with all relevant parties taking part.
TWO WEEKS BEFORE
● Speak to your DJ and confirm a first dance song for the reception.
● Have a final fitting of your dress with your veil, jewellery and shoes. It helps to practice walking.
● Reconfirm the honeymoon arrangements and pack for the vacation.
● Confirm the number of guests with your caterer and finalise the seating plan.
ONE WEEK BEFORE
● Arrange a rehearsal at the venue.
● Re-confirm your photographer, florist, hair and make-up artist, transport and catering.
● Liaise with your photographer regarding specific shots you want.
● Ensure anyone doing a speech has it written and ready to be presented.
● Prepare an emergency wedding kit including dress repair materials, any essential make-up, tissues and other important items.
THE DAY BEFORE
● Help to decorate the reception venue if necessary and make sure all final details are in place.
● Arrange for the cake to be delivered to the reception.
● Book your wedding party in for manicures and last-minute beauty treatments.
● Relax and have an early night.
ON THE DAY
● Start the day with a good breakfast, as you will be on your feet most of the day.
● Ensure you allow plenty of time to have your hair and make-up done.
● Get everyone dressed and ready. The mother of the bride should leave 15 minutes before the bride and her father.
● At the ceremony, the speeches run in the order of father-of-the-bride, followed by the groom, then the best man.
● At the end of the evening, it is tradition for the bride and groom to leave the reception first.
AFTER THE DAY
● Enjoy your honeymoon.
● Send ‘thank you’ cards for your wedding gifts.