SPOTLIGHT ON BULIMIA
Celebrities who’ve admitted suffering from an eating disorder
● DEMI LOVATO The 20-year-old singer said she started having food issues at the age of three, and has since battled anorexia, bulimia and self-harm. She says it runs in her family and believes she was born with it, though admits it was made worse by being bullied at school.
● JANE FONDA In 2011, Jane Fonda opened up to her lifelong body image issues, from puberty to her fifties, explaining how the older you get, the tougher it is to recover. The 75-year-old actress says she’s now at peace with her body.
● LADY GAGA Fighting back against constant media scrutiny of her weight, she admitted late last year that she has battled with eating disorders since she was 15. She set up a campaign, Body Revolution 2013, urging fans to post photos of themselves in their underwear in order to ‘celebrate your triumph over insecurities’.
● NICOLE SCHERZINGER Last year, the 35-year-old singer opened up about her battles with bulimia during her Pussycat Doll days. Suffering for many years, she says she was disgusted and embarrassed about what she saw as an addiction.
● PORTIA DE ROSSI The 40-year-old actress opened up about her bulimia as a teenage model in her memoir Unbearable Lightness, confessing to taking 20 laxatives a day and exercising obsessively.
● VICTORIA BECKHAM The 39-year-old admitted to suffering from an eating disorder during her early Spice Girls days in her 2011 autobiography Learning to Fly.