Prep time: 30 mins
Cooking time: 1 hour 45 mins
550g mandarin oranges
1 tbsp lemon juice
1.4 litres water
1.1 kg granulated sugar
1. Peel mandarins, reserving peel, and scoop flesh out of segments.
2. Blend flesh, along with any pips and juice, in a food processor until smooth. Place in a heavy-based pan.
3. Scrape as much pith from mandarin peel as possible then slice peel into thin strips. Add these to pan. Add lemon juice and water and bring to a boil.
4. Reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour 30 minutes or until peel is soft and mixture has reduce by half.
5. Add sugar and stir over low heat until it has dissolved. Bring to boil again and cook for 10 minutes, skimming and discarding any froth from surface.
6. To test consistency, place a teaspoon of marmalade on a saucer then refrigerate for a few minutes. It should set to a jelly-like texture. If it does not, continue to cook marmalade for a further 5-10 minutes.
7. Allow marmalade to cool slightly, then spoon into 2 sterilised 250ml jars and refrigerate.