Spicy savoury platter
Prep time: 2 hours
Cooking time: 15 mins
For the prawns
2 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp ginger-garlic paste
1/2 tsp fish masala pinch garam masala pinch chilli powder
2 tbsp oil
5-6 tiger prawns, deveined and cleaned
2 tsp shredded fresh coconut, toasted
1 tbsp sugar
For the chicken
2 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
1 tbsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp chilli powder
4 tbsp oil
4 large chunks of boneless chicken
1 black cardamom, bruised
1 green cardamom, bruised
1 tsp fennel powder
1/2 tsp kashmiri chilli powder pinch dry ginger powder
2-3 tsp tomato paste
3 tbsp yogurt, whisked salt
Method: 1. To prepare prawns, mix together lemon juice, gingergarlic paste, fish and garam masalas, chilli powder and salt. Marinate prawns in this mixture for 2 hours.
2. Heat oil in a frying pan and sauté prawns for about 3 minutes or until just cooked.
3. Meanwhile, mix together coconut and sugar on a plate. Using a pair of tongs, lift prawns from pan and coat in coconut mixture. Return prawns to frying pan and cook until sugar caramalises and gives prawns a crunchy crust.
4. To prepare chicken, mix together 1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste, lemon juice, chilli powder and salt. Marinate chicken in this mixture for 2 hours.
5. Heat oil in a frying pan and shallow-fry chicken until it begins to turn slightly brown. Remove from pan.
6. To same pan, add clove, cardamoms and all spice powders. Stir on low heat for not more than 10 seconds then add remaining ginger-garlic paste. Stir well until slightly brown in colour.
7. Add chicken and tomato paste. Sauté on low heat until oil begins to appear on side of pan.
8. Stir in yogurt and cook for 3-4 minutes or until sauce thickens and coats chicken well. Check seasoning, remove from heat and serve.