Risotto with spring veggies
Serves 4 to 6
125g fresh peas, shelled
30ml olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
1 bunch of chives, chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
250g risotto rice
150ml white wine
700ml vegetable or chicken stock
120g Parmesan cheese, grated
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1) Blanch the asparagus and peas for one minute in boiling water and drain. Rinse under cold water in a colander to stop the cooking process. Cut the asparagus into small pieces and set aside, along with the peas.
2) Heat the olive oil and butter in a large, deep saucepan. Fry the onions and spring onions until soft, then add the garlic and stir-fry for a minute or two. Add the rice and stir-fry for about five minutes.
3) Pour the wine over and let it cook slowly until all the liquid has been absorbed. Meanwhile, bring the stock to the boil in another saucepan and keep warm over low heat.
4) Add the stock, spoon by spoon, to the rice mixture, stirring well after each addition. Add the vegetables when almost all the stock has been added and the rice has a sticky appearance. Add a little more stock if necessary and, if you like, stir in another block of butter or two. Stir through for about two minutes.
5) Remove from heat, season with salt and pepper to taste, then mix in the Parmesan cheese and serve immediately.