Huge bushfire threat in Sydney suburbs
Some locals evacuated from their homes as it blazed through more than 2,430 hectares
Hundreds of firefighters were yesterday battling a large bushfire that was raging near Sydney suburbs, with authorities saying it was “miraculous” no houses had been damaged and no one had been injured.
New South Wales state police are investigating the cause of the bushfire in south-western Sydney, which started on Saturday afternoon amid unseasonably warm autumn weather and strong winds, with suspicions it was deliberately lit.
The blaze has burnt through more than 2,430 hectares (6,005 acres) so far, with some locals evacuated from their homes.
Despite the fire’s size and its proximity to several suburbs, no properties were known to be lost, the New South Wales Rural Fire Service said.
“It is absolutely miraculous that we have not lost any lives and virtually no property and this is because of the hard work and dedication and heroism of our fire services,” the state’s acting Emergency Services Minister Mark Speakman told reporters yesterday.
The only damage reported were to fences and a children’s playhouse.
Firemen tackling a bushfire burning at Voyager Point, south of Sydney, on Sunday.